Power Windows, '92 Silverado Crew Cab Dually

Rear passenger side window has stopped working properly. When I try to roll it down it goes about half way then stops. If I push it down of pull it up it will go down or up depending on the direction of the switch. When it gets all the way down or all the way up and if the switch is still engaged there's a clicking sound which ends when I let up on the switch.

It's not a switch problem. The crew cabs has two switches for each window, one on the driver's door and one on each door too. I get the same results with either switch.

Can anyone tell me how to address this problem. I don't mind taking off the door panel if I need to. Also, what's the clicking sound. It sounds like a relay or something.

I read some archives and something called a regulator is mentioned in association with the clicking sound. But I could not find a post which directly ascribed the clicking to the regulator. What's a regulator and what does it do?

Thanks, as always.

Reply to
David W. Walters

the 'regulator' is the device that translates the motor's rotary motion to the up-and-down action of the window

it uses a perforated plastic 'belt'

chances are the belt is stripped out between the holes at some point

it's time-consuming, close-quarters work to get the regulaotr out, and there's a good chance of pinched fingers and if you don't take proper precautions, the window can drop down and either injure you or break itself

I've done a couple of them............. and if it was mine, I'd take it to a good body shop and pay them to fix it, the next time

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer