Power Window Problem

I have a 1990 Ford Ranger with Power Windows.

Today when I went to raise the driver's side window it would not go up. I heard a clicking sound as if something was slipping or not engaging.

If I grabbed the window with one hand while holding the window in the up position I could pull the window up.

I tried it again; the window goes down fine but makes a clicking noise when I try to raise it.

One other thing that I mentioned. If I lower the window down about 70 % of the way and then remove my finger from the button the windows slowly slides down another inch or so.

I removed the door panel and am looking around but can't see much I might need a mirror in there to look around.

Any ideas?

I guess the motor is fine, maybe the regulator or the window lift gear?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

Probably the same design in the 92 Explorer.

In the motor assembly there are three plastic cylinders that are part of the motor drive system. If you pull the motor and disassemble the part where the out put shaft is you will find that the plastic cylinders have been destroyed, I have repaired mine by making cylinders out of an old plastic cutting board. Others have used metal instead. I have never figured out why the plastic was used in the first place - probably cost. Clean out the old grease and plastic and rebuild as you like. The alternative is to buy a replacement motor. Used ones may not be better than what you have now. Check the web for rebuilt ones.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress