Question... PING:GARY! or someone!!!

Gary, Doc, Shiden.... etc.. I've heard mention on this group before of why not to have a 4L60E flushed. My 2000 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 has 59,800km (35,000 miles....yeah i'm from Canada) and dealer suggests that I have the tranny flushed. Tranny has not yet been touched and works great. Are there reasons not to have this done? Please fill me in. Could you please give me suggestions? I never haul anything other than my 500 lb snowmobile...about 2-5 times per season. Oh yeah and my secretary to lunch every week.....but she doesn't count as heavy hauling! Thanks for your time, Glenn

Reply to
Da Newf

Glenn,

Unnecessary. Drop the pan, change the filter, add 5 qts and be done with it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Glenn;

Take it to a TRANSMISSION shop and have the fluid and filter changed, then have it changed every 12-15 K miles thereafter

after three changes you will have about 70 % of the old fluid out, you'll never get it all, but:

first time gets 1/3 of original 33 % second time gets 1/3 of 2/3 of original 22% third time gets 1/3 of 2/3 of 2/3 of original 15 %

the unseen benefit is that they can check the pan for any unusual debris, and you get a fresh filter each time

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

or as Doc says, DIY

Gary Glaenzer