Re: 2000 rear end problem

wrote

A friend of mine has a 2000 blazer, 4.3L with auto, 46,000 miles, and a > clunk at the rear end when the gears engage. I looked and saw alot of slack > as the rotation of the driveshaft seemed excessive before the engagement was > met in the rear differential. Like the pinion is out from the ring gear a > bit. The universal joints were replaced last week. Thanks in advance for all

Don't get too excited about some play back there. There is more then just the play between the ring and pinion. You also have to account for the play in spider gears and their pinion shaft, play between the spiders and the side gears in the differential, and slop between the side gears and the case, and side gears and the axle shafts. Unless the pinion is loose, or side bearings are worn allowing the ring gear to move back and forth...the play you are seeing is probably normal.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

Can you elaborate on what you consider "play"? I have a 2000 silverado 1500 5.3 Z71 that clunks pretty bad. The dealer says it's in spec. I check with truck in Neutral, ebrake engaged. I can then turn the rear driveshaft almost 1/2 turn back and forth. Is that considered play or is that excessive?

Thanks, Derek

Reply to
derek

"derek" wrote

That seems like too much play. But then, I'm in front of computer screen, not actually looking at your truck, so it would be unfair to second guess the dealer. If there is almost 1/2 turn of play at the rear diff yoke.....it may need some exploratory surgery to see where the excess play is.

We often get complaints of clunking when you go between reverse and drive.....on most 4x4's it's normal as you get a lot of slack when you add up all the components and their clearances in the drivetrain of a 4x4.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian. Since the dealer said it's OK, I have it documented so if the rear end ever granades I may have some recourse.

Thanks again,

Derek

Reply to
derek

I had the rear end go out on my 2000 5.3 4X4 1500 at 38,000 miles just out of warranty. I had complained each time I got the oil changed about the slop, and at one point they told me they had a recall on a urethane bushing and replaced it. When it finally went out G.M. paid for half of the bill to fix it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Jones