rear axle question

Hey all, I changed the rear bearings on my '69 Bug a few months ago and checked the wheels today. One of them has a slight bit of play in it, so I checked the axle nut and it is at least 250 ft/lb. So I think maybe my stub axle is worn....does this sound plausible? So can I change the stub axle without taking the whole think apart back there (by that I mean removing the bearings, seals, and that circlip)??

Thanks in advance,

Dane '69 Bug '63 Bug

Reply to
Dane Tyler

As long as you can get the nut off the axle, you should be able to change the stub without pulling the rest. It will come right out the back if you have the drive axle removed from the inner portion. (those funny star drive bolts)..............I have had them come out without provocation a time or two when I had the drive axles out.

It can be a booger to put the new axle in but it's not too bad.

just line up all the sleeves and stuff and it should slide in fairly easy.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

That's "fairly easily" in a booger kind of way, eh? :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

"How-to" on my web site, Mechanical section.

Some play is normal; it's built into the bearings. Might give this project a second thought.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Yeah,..........kinda.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Dane,

Slight play is normal. Changing the stub axle will make no difference to that play! Check your manual or an exploded view for the stub axle setup.

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe