Rear-End

Has anyone had a problem with the rear-end on an '04 2500 HD 4=D74 w/4.10 gears? Took mine to the dealer today cuz it started clunking real loud.I don`t even off road with it. Last week it was in for the intermediate steering shaft.Glad it`s under warranty. With 12,500 miles,nothing should go wrong. Just my opinion.

P.S. I`ll let you all know what they found.

Reply to
Bill

Does it have the G-80 optional rear locking diff?

Reply to
Steve W.

I believe it does.Is that the possie re-end? The dealer couldn`t find anything wrong. I`m still not happy,but it hasn`t made any noise in a few days.

Reply to
Bill

Yep. The Grenade 80. They have a nasty habit of turning into scrap metal without warning. Usually they will make a couple of bangs and then one BIG one. It is an Eaton unit but not a real solid piece. The strange thing is it doesn't seem to matter if you abuse it or treat it with kid gloves. They fail under either use.

Reply to
Steve W.

I had a '75 Blazer with full time FWD and a locking rear end. It ran over 175,000 miles highway and heavy off road both dry and mud/snow type conditions. Locking still worked fine when I sold it. Replaced truck with a '89 Suburban FWD with a locking rear end. it did just what yours did when it had 5,000 miles on it!! (the bang crunch noises- which is it actually trying to lock) on dry pavement in parking lots. I drained the rear end grease and re-filled it with new GM oil and a 4 oz. bottle of "fish oil" additive for locking rear ends from the dealer's parts counter. that suburban now has 123,000 miles and has never made the awful sounds again since it got the new oil and additive and to this day it will lock just fine when off road in mud and snow..... I just change all drivetrain lubricants every 45 to 50 thousand miles or so.... the latest addition to the fleet is an '04 Blazer.... quite the mountain goat!! just with greatly reduced cargo space!!!

Reply to
randy