Rebuild time question

I am building a new engine for my 93 sub 4x4 and could use some advise. I purchased a engine out of a 89 van casting number 10054727 and am going to build it to replace the exisiting engine. My main goal is to get more pulling power for towing my trailer. I want to get about another 80-100 hp over stock. I have talked to Summitt and they are telling me I should put in one of their rebuild kits to bump up the compression to 9.73 to 1 and then install aluminum heads with 2.02/1.60 valves. They also strongly reccomend an aftermarket intake.

Anybody out there got better advise? I kind of feel like they are telling me this just to get me to buy alot of parts not necessarily the best way for me to go. I will do what they say if I have too its just alot more $$ than I really want to spend...

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pat.

Reply to
Pat Vickers

stay away from the big valve (2.02) heads, while being great in a car or other light vehicle, they hurt low end torque production, which is what your truck needs. if money is an object, go to the junk yard and find a set of vortec heads, they are 1.94's that flow infinately better than the sucky heads the TBI's got. you'll need a GMPP TBI for Vortec heads intake ( I think Edelbrock also makes one). add a good set of headers (Thorley Tri-Y's come to mind) and you should be at least 1/2 way to your HP boost. anything else is going to cost alot more. if money is no object, buy the edelbrock performer package (heads, intake, headers, SFI conversion, cam). Edelbrock's been around along time and is very reputable. they claim an 85HP gain.'

HTH,

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I think thats a little high on compression... you certainly want to be able to burn regular street gas.

The c>I am building a new engine for my 93 sub 4x4 and could use some advise. I

Reply to
Elbert Clarke

Reply to
sidewinder

Agreed. With iron heads you can run up to 9.7:1 without issue; aluminum heads you can crank her up to 10:7 or so without issue.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Are we talking 87 octane fuel at 9.7:1 compression?? If so what would one due to control detonation? I have had a few problems in the past with this.

Reply to
ZeR0_

Reply to
sidewinder