Remote Locks on Two GM Vehciles

I have a 2001 Z71 Chevy Truck with remote and my wife has a 2003 Buick Park Avenue with remote. I would like to know if it is possible to have one remote that will work on both the truck and the car. Carrying two remotes on my already overcrowded key chain isn't workable.

Thanks in advance..

N J

Reply to
NJ

Jeff

I had viper aftermarket alarms installed on our 99 Suburban and Neon. They were able to use our Suburban remotes to handle both cars ( top row buttons - Suburban, bottom Row buttons - Neon). I also had electric locks put on the Neon. I think the final cost was about $500 total to get both Alarms, Locks and Programming done.

Carrying it a little further, I purchased 2 separate receiver units and used them to control the house Alarm System and House Lights. When away from the Neon, all functions of the Suburban remote work as usual. If both the truck and Neon are parked together, the Bottom row will open the Neon, but the Suburban panic siren will fire off. You just then have to unlock and relock the Suburban to reset, but of course since that function is on the top row the Neon remains unlocked. Everything has worked just great.

House Alarm and House light function is done using the Top and bottom Left row buttons and Right row buttons. I was told we could then use the same remotes on a diagonal direction and control 2 more systems. That would be 6 functions on 1 remote pad. Not Bad. This was all accomplished by "County Radio" in Baltimore.

I also found carrying two remotes a pain

Marshall

2003 Buick Park

have one

two remotes on

Reply to
Marshall

i would like to do same with my wifes saturn BUT she dont carry my remote nor do i hers, hell i dont even carry the keys to her car, separate key rings, i never drive her car anyway, and she very very rarely drives my truck.

Reply to
Charles H.

To sum up Marshall's post, this can NOT be done with the OE remotes.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Mike,

Unless I'm wrong, and that's always possible, we are using the original Gray OE remote controls ( AutoMate ) as supplied by GM. We programmed the Vipers to accept the codes from the GM remotes. In the Suburban, we are even using the original OEM electric lock receiver and OE remote to control the OEM functions, and the Viper at the same time. It was just good programming, installation, and luck I guess. You can not just use the OEM receiver head and system to do this on the Sub, you also need to add the Viper control head.

In the Neon, The Suburban OE remote strictly controls the Viper and the aftermarket electric locks as the Neon had no alarm control system of any type.

So Mikes statement is not quite correct. You can use the GM OEM remotes, but I clearly had to add the Viper control heads to both vehicles and program the Vipers to accept the GM OEM remote signals.

It's not so bad when we take the Sub in for service as the top row is normally used for locking and unlocking by even the dealers. But It's a smile on my face when the Dodge Dealer uses the top row of buttons and thinks they have unlocked the Neon and then have to use the key to open it and the alarm goes off.... they didn't use the bottom row of buttons as instructed ( read.... they didn't read the note on the service order as to what buttons to use.) Had one dealer completely disconnect the system as they didn't understand it.... but since the note about which buttons to use was already attached to the service order, and they ignored it, the Dodge dealer had to pay County Radio to reconnect the whole systems :-))

I might also add that both vehicles have working proximity warning alarm and motion sensors on them also. Because of the size of the Suburban, the proximity sensors were a pain to get working properly. We had to use 2 Prox sensors, adjusted very carefully, to get a decent 4' warning coverage around the outside exterior. The Suburban, to my knowledge, has never gone into a false full alarm, but the Neon is another story in a good rainstorm or on a Friday morning when the big diesel trash truck goes by it. I've had many a 1am call from our neighbors as the Neon happily beeps out it's proximity warning in a rainstorm.

Another little detail. When I had the Neon's windows film tinted it affected the sensitivity of the Neon Prox alarm and had to be readjusted.

The Viper control heads I installed seem to accept many OEM remotes to control them. They can be "Trained" to accept most remotes. It would be nice if the GM OEM heads could also be trained easily. In this case we trained the Neon Viper head to the GM remote bottom button codes.

This was all done several years ago so I have no idea as to how compatible the Viper / GM control heads are today to doing something like this.

Marshall

To sum up Marshall's post, this can NOT be done with the OE remotes.

and

both

cost

House