850 remote door locks?

I have had a base model '97 850 for 3 or 4 years now with no problems, save the ABS issue. I recently was told that all (?) 850's have remote door locks. My car does have power locks, so since I got it used could I just need to buy a remote key fob? If so are they expensive and do they require programming etc?

Thanks!!

Reply to
Holly

Holly,

If you have remote door locks then you have an alarm too. Do you know if you have the little red light on the dash? If you do then you have an alarm. You can test it by rolling down the window and locking the car with the key and then reaching in and opening the car door from the inside the alarm should go off. I don't know about the alarm for the later 850's but the earlier was programable by the owner by turning the car on and off 5 times without starting it and on the 5th time leaving it on and pushing the button the fob for 3 seconds. A new fob can be found on eBay for about $30.00.

Bernie

Reply to
berns

The remote key fobs aren't too terribly expensive, they're only about $40. You have to get it through the dealer, though, and depending on your area that might jack up the price a bit. They take care of all the programming, all they need is your VIN and probably the title to prove you own the car.

Reply to
Robert