Remote Locks on '92 940?

I drove my wife's '02 Focus around for a few days, and am happy to be back with my Volvo in generally running condition. :) All other things aside, though, I found that I really like the door remote for the locks.

My '92 940 has central locking (er, it would if I put the relay back), but I haven't found anyone who sells a remote for it; specifically, I can't find anyone who sells a remote for a pre-93

940, which leads me to believe the central locking was just for the key-turns and didn't have a radio.

Is there some way to retrofit or install a remote on this car?

Thanks in advance,

-TC

Reply to
Tim C

The remote control on my '87 740 was part of the alarm that I fitted. There is a signal out from the alarm control unit that you can use to trip the central locking at the same time as setting the alarm. I guess that many remote controlled alarms would have this feature. Mine even has a second signal out that could be used to close the electric windows, but I never got around to patching that in.

IIRC I used the output to trip a relay that activated the central locking, but it's so long ago that I've forgotten the precise circuitry. Also, I had to fit an additional lock motor from a scrapper onto the drivers door.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Stewart, which model/brand of remote kit did you use? IPD has one selling for 7/9 series, by the way.

RS

Reply to
Rusty

TBH I can't remember, and I don't want to have to dismantle the dash (behind where I mounted it) to find out. There is nothing on the key fob or under-bonnet siren to give any clues.

In terms of price, it was mid-range, and in the UK, so may not be available to you anyway. If the one at IPD has some sort of auxilliary output signal that occurs when the alarm is set, then this can be used to do the job. If IPD can't tell you this, see if the manufacturer has a technical help line.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave