Removing brake line from rear wheel cyl.

I have to replace leaky rear wheel brake cylinders on 89 K1500, can I use a little heat on the brake line fittings to help unseize them, or is that a no no....Rico

Reply to
Rich

It shouldn't hurt unless you get it too hot and melt the seals in the pistons. I heated, sprayed, everything I could think of on my 88 s10 and the nut came loose from the piston fine but it wouldn't come free from the line so it twisted the line. It was easy enough to do the same at the T on top of the differential and spend a 1$ to replace the short line in between. I figured as rusty as they were, I replaced the T and both sides just to be safe.

Reply to
Eugene

I ended up removing my wheel cylinders with a cold chisel and replacing the hard lines right up to the flex line.

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

It would have to be very "little" amount of heat. If you find that the nut comes loose from the wheel cylinder, but is rusted to the line.......don't keep turning the nut...just remove the bolts that hold the wheel cylinder in place, pull it out of the backing plate a bit (this will stretch the brake a bit, but it is flexible) and then unscrew the wheel cylinder from the nut. This method will save you having to make up a new line.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

you should be able to use a LITTLE bit of heat, but NOT alot, and then use a flare nut wrench to lossen the fitting

Reply to
Cavalier2001z24