rotating tires

A week ago, I bought five new Bridgestones for my truck. Five, because I know I'll get my money's worth out of them if I rotate them correctly. Does anyone know the pattern I'm supposed to use, and mileage?

Thanks, Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Depends upon the vehicle and tires. I was in a Chevy dealer and saw another vehicle ( a 85 corvette)sitting there. Nice looking but its wheels looked odd; I had owned an 85. Sure enough, upon closer inspection, I saw that the owner/maintenance man had used the standard X rotation, which resulted in the wheels turning the wrong direction, which among other things prevented the cooling intended for the brakes. Also, the tires were probably not as effective or wearing out quicker because they were turning in the wrong direction for unidirectional tires.

You need to know whether the tires are unidirectional or bi, and you need to know about your wheels. Your owner's manual should tell you about stock wheels and tire wall will tell you whether they are unidirectional. If everything is stock or like stock, follow the owner's manual.

My trucks tires are unidirectional. Thus, rotate front to back. _____________

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

Directional tires are mostly low profile or high performance most truck tires are not we reccommend you rotate your tires everyother oil change and in the front to back pattern Id have my alignment checked since i got new tires even if it dont pull the toe could be off which causes the tire to feather on the inside edges.

Reply to
Steve Cook
.

(on the subject of rotaing tires)

Sun, Sep 28, 2003, 2:47am (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@removespamatt.net stated very matter of factly..........

I saw that the owner/maintenance man had used the standard X rotation, which resulted in the wheels turning the wrong direction, which among other things prevented the cooling intended for the brakes.

---- Tippy

OK, Tippy

I'll bite........

How did it prevent the cooling intended for the brakes?

Scrib Abel

Reply to
Scribb Abell

The vents were turned the other direction-- _____________

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

Re: rotating tires

(on the subject of rotaing tires)

=A0=A0Sun, Sep 28, 2003, 2:47am (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@removespamatt.net stated very matter of factly..........

=A0=A0I saw that the owner/maintenance man had used the standard X rotation, which resulted in the wheels turning the wrong direction, which among other things prevented the cooling intended for the brakes.

- Tippy

---------------------------------------------- (Scrib Abell responded with this.....)

-------------------------------------------------------------- (Tippy answered Scrib with......)

The vents were turned the other direction--

Tippy

------------------------------------------------------------- (which kept ole Scrib interested..leading to this..)

OK, Tippy I'll bite again........

What vents?

Scrib Abell ~~takes a slug of Crown Royal..and wonders who else is reading this~~

Scribb Abell

"Scribb Abell" wrote

Marsh, there were some vehicle that had directional vents as an integral part of the wheel design. These were intended to direct air into the brakes.

I remember the F-bodies that had different offsets from front to rear wheels. If the customer wanted a tire rotation on those vehicles, we had to dismount the tires and re-mount them on the wheels 'without' changing the wheel placement.

I also remember getting a few f-bodies in the shop that had been rotated elsewhere, it chewed up the inside of two of the wheels.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

just rotate your tires eveyother oil change and from front to back and youll be fine if you have it done at a good shop they will tell you if you have any abnormal wear and what the causes are for that type of wear some people just try to make it harder than it really is

Reply to
Steve Cook

C'mon Shiden! That makes too much perfect sense to let it all out of the bag! I mean, I'm saying, if he dont' get it, let him not get it!

Whaaaattt? Offsets? As far as I've known, this has been the case in tracking as long as I've been driving and that IS a long time! Didn't know it was for these reasons however.

Well, in about 73, Goodyear came out with what is called a steel belted radial tire. It may have, and probably was some time before that, but they were new enough when I got them, that NO one, not even Goodyear knew what they would do. I went through three new sets, one after the other, because of this directional crap was even heard of. Does that mean Goodyear shouldn't have known about it before it happened? Apparently not. You see, when you get right down to it, all this book learning and education in engineering goes as far as its used. Any non egotist engineer will tell you that! he he.

Surely, you don't mean like an F-85?

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Yup...don't know how effective they were but to see them backwards on a vette is well, disconcerting. _____________

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

I'm just trying to do five new tires, not four. Haven't gotten to the manual yet, thanks for those who suggested that. Hope its there.

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt