runs rough when wet

2000 Chevy 3/4 4x4 . Runs rough after a heavy rain. Obviously something wet so my first thought is cracked distributor cap. So put new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Runs good but same problem, rough after a rain. It may be my imagination, but it seems to be using much more gas. Main thing is the rough running. Maybe coil? Any thoughts would be appreciated. GJ
Reply to
rxlawn

Check the pickup coil in the dist. Look for corrosion. Also, look at your plug wires (in the dark, eg really dark area) and see if any are flashing over.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I had a bad ignition coil on my Chevy S-10 pickup, many years ago. I was able to diagnose by starting the engine, and spray some water on the ignition coil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had a low power problem, with my Chevy, one time. Turns out the problem was the cheap set of "three year warranty" spark plug wires. I had very foolishly thrown out the wires I took off, and spent a LOT of money on every other part, before I figured out the problem was the cheap wires. So, even "brand new" wires might be a problem. It's happened to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon