1996 Chevy K3500 454 rough running problems

I've had my 96 K3500 with a 454 7.4L engine for a few months and ever since the weather cooled down from the hot summer days it's hit or miss everytime I try to start it.

Now when I try to start it, it starts up running very rough about 70% of the time. It usually stays running like this for 15-20 min and mysteriously it runs normally again. When it's running rough, the rpms head down from the 1500 or so to about 600 and bounce back up to 1500 back and forth until it heats up. It runs fine otherwise and it's been relatively well maintained.

I've been throwing parts and work at it for a while hoping to catch the problem but so far no luck. It has a full tuneup done with plugs, wires, cap & rotor, changed Idle Valve, changed upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and changed EGR valve. My next guess is that it might be fuel related, maybe an injector, fuel pressure regulator, or fuel pump relay??

Please help, I've been scratching my head about this problem for a while and I need to fix it before winter hits.

Thank you

Reply to
Landmanil

You may want to check the crank sensor and the distributor sensor. I've got the same motor in a 3/4 ton. Had that problem. Computer couldn't figure out where it was firing. Mine was deeper though. Gear on the bottom of the distributor was installed wrong during the rebuild. Threw the computer completely out of wack!

Reply to
Daveman

you might have a coolant sensor problem that is for the computer in the summer time its warm but in the winter it is to cold so I would go with the coolant sensor for the computer

Reply to
harold

replying to Landmanil, madashell wrote: I have 96 Chevy 454 had a small miss. Been in the shop on & off for2 months. They ccan'tffind the problem. Its worse now runs ruff all the time now. Replaced crank sensor, MAP sensor, distributor, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, fuel pump, sock, filter. Coil, module. Please help. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
madashell

Have the mechanic check your valve lift - all 16 of them. My guess is you have at least one flat cam lobe.

Reply to
clare