rusty fuel pump in GM 2500HD?

Hi, I purchased a GM 2500HD 6.0 gas engine four door truck last year. It ran great for about a year, has 66k miles on it now and this June it started throwing injectors. They were clogged with what looked like rust. I suspected bad gasoline, since my fuel tank is plastic. The fuel filter was emptied when I had it serviced and I watched the guy poor out gas that was red with rust. In fact, what came out of the fuel filter wasn't even transparent like gas normally is. It was nasty.

Chevrolet replaced 5 injectors during three different trips to the service shop before they finally said that they would pull the tank and investigate the cause. Apparently, there was a ton of rust in the bottom of the tank and they said that the fuel filter housing was rusted.

1) Does this make sense that the fuel pump housing would rust this bad and produce this much rust and still finction? I thought the fuel filter casings were galvanized or aluminum or something that wouldn't corrode.

2) The gas station where I got the gas is also where I filled up my plastic gas can I used to fill my lawnmower, which also started running like crap two weeks after buying the gas. So, it could be the fuel I got. The lawnmower was brand new this February and should be running fine.

I don't know. Warranty wouldn't cover it and I've spent $1,600 to date on replaced injectors, fuel line flushing, tank cleaning, etc. They did NOT recommend a new fuel pump, however, and listed on the receipt that they cleaned the rust off of the fuel pump housing.

Any hints? Anyone else have this problem?

Reply to
jo_jo

Water with the gasoline you purchased from the same gas station?

last year.

this June it

looked like

plastic. The

watched the guy

out of the

It was

trips to the

the tank and

rust in the

housing was

rust this bad

the fuel

that wouldn't

filled up my

started running

the fuel I

be running

$1,600 to date

etc. They

the receipt

Reply to
Franko

I thought about that and it's very possible. I'm considering calling the local department of agriculture and reporting them just because the guy at the distributor that owns the station was such a jerk. I hear the department of ag will shut the store down and ask questions later. He basically told me to go jump off a cliff.

I think it would have been water, but my truck broke down so soon after I bought that gas that it seems that either the fuel pump was rusting the whole time or the station was low on fuel and I got a bunch of gunk from the bottom of their storage tank.

The main thing is that the dealership fixed the problem. I think if it happens again I will pull my hair out!! It's been to the same dealer four times now.

Franko wrote:

Reply to
jo_jo

Reply to
David Johnson

I would not say he would never have problems again as water in fuel is always a problem. To minimize the chance of this in future, try to keep tank at least half full to minimized condensation and if you suspect water in fuel, add a couple of can of dry gas to tank (it is methanol alchol) as it will bind to thr water and the gas and let it pass through system. Also you are more likely to have problem with fuel from some discount supply places than name brand stuff for what it is worth.

TheSnoMan