scanning tool for 99 suburban

I was looking to buy s scanning tool that would let me ckeck the cam retard offset on my 99 suburban, some one suggested a Tech 2, I looked on e-bay , found one for $1000 this is out of my price range, what else is out there that is not so much? Thank you.

Reply to
ibc

Probably be cheaper to just take it into a shop and get it done for you. If you follow the GM service manuals instructions on how to manually install and set the dist, you should be right on the money. I've never had a problem with the cam offset when following the procedure.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Shep

No, the Tech 2 is not necessary to bring it into phase. If you follow the instructions on how to install the dist properly, 99 times out of 100, you will be right where you should be. The one other time....yeah....you might want to hook up the Tech 2...see where you are at, and then move the distributor slightly to bring it back into phase. The dist has a mark on it.....line the engine up tdc #1, line up the rotor to the mark...done.

I think I've had to use the Tech 2 to do this procedure maybe 2 times in the ten years that this engine has been out. And I've done "tons" of engine work on the small block and v-6 engines.

And can you really trust that some guy posting on the internet has any clue what he's doing and has actually either read the service manual information and interpreted it correctly and managed to install the dist correctly? I doubt it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to