Toyota Prius Memochat

I'm looking for a first car for my daughter. She wants something small, and I want something fuel efficient. The Gen 2 (2004-2009) Priuses (Prii?) are in my price range (<$6K), but every damn one I've found has over 150K miles on the odometer and quite a few have over 250K miles. Since the main power to the wheels is shared between the battery and the little put-put engine in this vehicle, should I not let the miles bother me as much? How many miles can these things go without an expensive battery swap?

What else should I look for? I'm already feeling greedy and want navigation, backup camera, JBL sound system, and fog lamps -- like I enjoy with my recently-purchased Toyota Solara. I think that puts me in the "Touring" trim line for the Gen 2 Prius, but I'm not sure. I've only been shopping for one online for about 48 hours.

Any tips?

Reply to
unclejr

The Gen 3's engine is 1.8 L, while the Gen 2 engine is 1.5 L. I don't know how much more hp that is, but I doubt it if it's a whole lot.

I'm not even looking at Gen 4, since they're well over my budget. I do dig those "lightning bolt" LED rear tail lights though. Those things rock.

Reply to
unclejr

On 19 May 2019, unclejr snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted some news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You can buy a refurbished matched battery from green tec auto for $1000.

They work like a champ.

As for the mileage, we put one of those batteries in a 2010 Prius with

350,000 miles on it. Battery was dead, horrible mileage. We bought the car that was in otherwise decent shape for $1,400, changed the battery now mileage is like a new car. Needs brakes next.
Reply to
pgd

Or you can use the one of many suppliers on craigslist for about half that price that rebuild the pack with OEM cells. Many times there is just a bad cell or two. Replacing these and re-balancing the pack is all that's needed to resolve the problem. They bring a replacement pack to you and install in about an hour.

The triangle error message is not the end of the world. Many times the erro r can be cleared with a $20 obd-II tool that has wireless connection to you r phone and the car continue to provide good services for months and years down the road.

Reply to
dgbear