Shelters concrete vs. steel shelters

I live in Jackson Tenn were we just had a big Tornado. I'm looking at a Concrete Storm Shelter for $2,400 vs Steel Shelter for $7,000 the same size. I was told by the steel people that the Concrete will leak through over time. I was thinking before I put the concrete in the ground put a rubber sealer on both sides?? Sure steel is better but for the $4,600 difference???

What is the scoop on that.. Any sites telling me the difference>

Dave raveATusit.net swap the AT with @

Reply to
David

Bruce Porter

Most anything will leak eventually, so best to account for drainage / sump pump. Of course you could adapt a fiberglass underground storage tank and that shouldn't leak in your lifetime.

Reply to
Pete C.

Bury a used shipping container. Put a good bed of gravel under it and be mindful of the side load of wet dirt. If you put a couple of them end to end you can make a nice "indoor" shooting range too. Some thought to ventilation is in order too.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Actually, that's exactly what I'm planning to do with a 20' container. The location I have for it is in/on enough of a slope that I should be able to drain to daylight from the gravel base.

Reply to
Pete C.

If you properly seal it it will not leak through and reinforced concrete with rebar in it is a very tuff customer and will last your lifetime. (do rebar it) THey made pill boxes out of that stuff durring the wars which tells you how tuff it can be. With concrete you have strength and weight too and makes a nice safe quiet shelter. Make sure that you have a very strong steel door that is well secured and that you allow for venting so no decompression pressure forces trying to blow door outward. One more thing, I would put a sump in shelter if it is underground so that normal soil seepage can me removed under and around shelter. When you install it underground when you pour footers, place some tile pipe through them between inside and outside or them and have about a foot or so of heavy gravel inside and out side of it up to floor level and back file around shelter with pee gravel. THis will allow water to sift down to gravel at base and collect below floor and in a sump inside shelter through floor a few feet deep to be pumped out as needed and keep unit dry inside. Sump pump can even be battery operated so that even the worst storm with no power is not a issue.

SnoMan

Let the Trolls desend as their egos and insecurities need to be feed....

SnoMan

Let the Trolls desend as their egos and insecurities need to be feed....

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan