Shifting into Park

91 S-10, auto (of course)....Started to notice a slight difficulty/resistance while going into park a few days ago....And, as cars don't usually fix themselves, by last night it's a lot worse....Didn't notice anything obvious in the linkage arrangement and the trani otherwise is fine.....Today I'm going to disconnect the linkage and try moving the trani shift lever by hand...but am thinking it's in the column?
Reply to
ken

Is it just going into park? Usually, the gear indicator will be a little off also, like showing between R & P when you're in reverse..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

I know what you mean about the indicator being a bit off, (adjusted the wire clip once) but it's going into Park, barely.....still experimenting with ways of getting around this, like shuting down in neutral then shifting into park

Reply to
ken

Check your shift linkage for being loose or bent.

Reply to
NoSpam

linkage looks fine, no wear or any abnormal slop..all the other positions on the shift lever work smoothly Haven't run over any boulders recently....May pull the shift collar apart inside the steering column..not that I really want to

In the mean time, I just shut down in neutral and then shift to park......the lazy man's way of working around the problem

Reply to
ken

Try disconnecting the linkage and see if it still is hard to move. Could be a problem in side the transmission with the parking gear.

Reply to
NoSpam

Words that an owner never wants to here.....

Reply to
ken

Shifting into Park Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Mar 3, 2004, 7:45am (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (ken)

91 S-10, auto (of course)....Started to notice a slight difficulty/resistance while going into park a few days ago....And, as cars don't usually fix themselves, by last night it's a lot worse....Didn't notice anything obvious in the linkage arrangement and the trani otherwise is fine.....Today I'm going to disconnect the linkage and try moving the trani shift lever by hand...but am thinking it's in the column? do you lve in new england? is the truck rusty? if so it sounds like the body i settling on the frame. best of luck -pete
Reply to
pete carb

so, if I understand you here, if the engine is OFF, it goes into park ok? Maybe a safety switch or (maybe only ford problem) brake pedal switch?

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

He's go a Chevy S10, what does a ford problem have to do with his problem???

Reply to
NoSpam

Nope, tried shutting down, then shifting to park a few times.. there's still a resistance....Promised myself today to get underneath it really check it our..later

Reply to
ken

Obviously he thought it may be a safety feature that other makes use, and was offering it so the problemie could have a wider breadth of problems too look for.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

not so obvious....

Reply to
NoSpam

like I said, I don't know if it's only fords, but i had a cougar that drove me crazy not being able to get it out of park... turned out to be a broken wire to the brake light switch... some kind of law that you have to have your foot on the brake to get it out of (not sure of in to) park... someone on this chevy ng suggested that i check out the brake light switch..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

I guess great minds think alike then.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I know my mother's Malibu wont go in or out of park without the brake being on. But hey, your problem is with a ford - it can't have anything to do with any other make &/or vehicle...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Took off the linkage today and still have the hard movement into the Park position---S--T!

Reply to
ken

what model and year ?

Reply to