2005 merc can't remove ignition key or shift into park

Unable to shift my 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis GS into park, or remove the ignition key. I can start and drive the car in all gears otherwise. Any ideas of why this is happening?

Reply to
Woodznutz

Press brake pedal while shifting to park.

PWY

Reply to
Paul York

"Woodznutz" wrote in message news:73085$54565939$41b57997$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

These are the same problem. Get the car to P, and the key will come out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The requirement is to depress the brake pedal to shift out of P.

One is not required to hold the pedal to shift into P, although logic says that if the car is moving then one would desire it to stop before selecting P, and this would mean that the foot would already be on the brake pedal. Either way, this advice does not help solve the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Can't you just disconnect the shift cable and see if you can shift the tranny manual lever into the park position? If the lever is blocked and there is nothing blocking its motion on the outside, the problem is inside the tranny.

If the tranny can go into Park, then it's usually a problem with the shift linkage or cable.

Reply to
IYM