what car did I buy !?!

ok, dumb question but when I bought my CPO 2002 Passat, I loved it so much, I didn't even consider if it is 4WD. How do I tell? Are they all 4WD? I have the 1.8L Turbo. Is there a place on the web to help me decipher the VIN?

Also, what is the deal with the Mintex brake pads? Am I a fool not to get them? The local parts shop has lifetime warranty pads.

??

Thanks all, and Happy New Year !

Reply to
Richard Gee

The Volkswagen AWD system is called 4motion, and they did not all come with it. I am quite sure the 1.8T Passat was not even available with

4motion. Best way to find out is to look under the rear of the car. If you find a rear differential, it has 4motion, otherwise it does not.
Reply to
Randolph

It is *now*, AIUI, but it was not in 2002.

There should also be a 4Motion badge on the trunk.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith
4-motion was not an option in 2002 with the 1.8T engine. If it was however, there would be a 4motion badge near the Tiptronic or shifter (altho in 2002 if you had 4motion, you had a Tip tranny) and a 4motion badge on the rear of the vehicle.

Easiest way to absolutely prove this, is take a look under the rear of the car. If there's 2 axles with a driveshaft, then it's 4wd, otherwise, you've got a standard 2002 FWD 1.8T (which is what I believe you have)

Lifetime warranty pads wear out fast, so they're constantly being replaced. Mintex pads tend to be hit or miss, quality has been down the past few years. I've had one set that was great, next set was extremely poor. I would look into a more quality pad like Hawk or PBR/Axxis. Brake pad upgrades are a great way to upgrade your brake system for a very small cost.

Kurt

Richard Gee wrote:

Reply to
Kurt Telep