Silverado vs Chevrolet pickups (3500 series)

Last one built was in 91 though there as some aftermarket convertions out there it is not a easy conversion and it requires a left side drive front axle because of transfer case design and not a right hand side drive like GM trucks through 91. Please note that while GM came out with new style P/U in 88 the Blazer, Suburban and 3500 trucks were still built on the old style chassis thru 91 just like when Silverado came out in 99, GM still used the older classic style chassis through

2000 for 3500 series trucks.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Greetings,

There are only two significant differences between the 2500HD and the 3500 (not counting the dual rear wheels, but you can get a 3500 with the single-rear-wheel option if you want). On the 3500 there are a few additional leaf springs on the rear axle and larger tires (265-75R16's I believe, as compared to the 2500HD's 235-75R16's). However, the stock rear axle ratio on the 2500HD is 3.73:1 where I believe the stock ratio for the

3500 is 4.10:1, although you can order a 2500HD with a 4.10 rear if you want.

With that in mind, the dual rear wheels make the truck harder to park, and the 3.73 rear axle is just a little better on mileage than the 4.10 without sacrificing all that much in towing capacity. FWIW, my '04 is rated to tow

12,500# with a WD hitch or 15,500# with a gooseneck in the bed. Either way, the 2500HD is overkill for your 3500# boat! Also, starting in '06 the Allison now has 6 speeds instead of the 5 that mine has - helps to squeeze out just a little more MPG on the highway.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks for a godo summary. I think that those extra springs allow for extra carrying cargo capacity (like being able to load a heavy machine in the back).

absolutely

Sure, though it is better to have an overkill than my Dodge RAM POS experience.

Yes. Very nice.

I definitely want a diesel vehicle, I have a diesel generator also and like diesels. As for 2500HD vs single wheel 3500, I am still deciding.

Thank you Jonathan for spending time to answer my question.

Ignoramus4299

Greetings,

I have not priced trucks since I purchased mine, but I guess you'd have to look at the difference in real dollars between a 2500HD vs. a 3500 with single rear wheels and decide if the extra leaf springs and larger stock tires are worth the price. It's pretty cheap to add an extra leaf or two yourself and just upsize the tires when you wear the stock ones out.

All other stuff aside, I can very much recommend getting the crew cab (which I have and love the extra room). I can also recommend getting a spray-in bed liner (I got Line-X), but other than an aux fuel filter I've not made any significant modifications to my truck. I thought the LB7 series Duramax was powerful when I bought mine, but the new high output ones are real bruisers. Even with this being a pretty heavy truck, the back wheels still like to break loose unexpectedly with an empty bed.

One last item, the new regulations for sulfer in diesel fuel are going into effect in '07. The new ultra-low sulfer fuels will have 15 parts per million or less, while the current low-sulfer fuels have 500 ppm. There are warnings everywhere that state you absolutely cannot use the current 500 ppm fuel in a vehicle designed for the new 15ppm fuel or it will damage your motor (although you will be able to use the 15 ppm fuel in an older truck designed for 500 ppm), and fuel quality problems are seldom if ever covered under warranty. Since not all gas stations will have the new fuel right away then that could be an issue if you bought a new truck and couldn't find anywhere to fill it up! Therefore, it would pay to find a truck that was rated for the older 500 ppm fuel and buy it as soon as possible so you won't have any problems when the switch goes into full effect. Just something to think about...

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

El Wed, 04 Oct 2006 21:30:58 -0400, Roy escribió:

The only person here to whom that insult might apply is you, for going so wildly off topic. Perhaps you haven't noiced, but this thread is about Silverado vs Chevrolet pickups. If you have a gripe in another thread, then take it up there.

And it wouldn't hurt your credibility any to post verifiable facts rather than kindergarten insults. Correct or incorrect, SnoMan posts information that can be objectively proven or disproven, a practice you would do well to emulate rather than belittle.

Reply to
Warren Post

Looks like it would apply to you seeing as you are off topic as well.pkb

If you are going to play net nanny ya can't have it both way's

I told you where to find veriable facts, look it up. Or you can look around here and see it being pointed out by others as well.

No pal you can emulate him. It would seem based on your post you two are of the same ilk.

Reply to
Roy

I will definitely check it.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a four door extended cab now, it is great, but I would rather have a full four door cab.

Yes, I have bedliner now and I would not want to use a truck any other way.

I will also look into getting a removable truck cap.

What do you mean here, are you just referring to bumpy ride or wheels slipping?

Ouch, something to think about, for sure. Thanks Jonathan.

igor

Reply to
Ignoramus7272

A Silverado is a Chevrolet. Roy is calling Snoman because he needs to be.

Reply to
NapalmHeart