Simple alternator question

Hi All,

I have a question for the group. I am not sure if my alt is starting to go. It is producing 13.6 volts at full load and 14.1 with no load; it has been doing this for a few months. Since the 13.6 is not in that magical range of 13.8 to 14.2 that we were told to look for, do you think it is time to change it out?

Thanks for the advice,

mark

Reply to
r_d

Mark,

13.6 volts is fine. Basically the battery is at 12 volts, if you see anything over 12 volts while the truck is running the alternator is working.

I would consider anything > 13.0 volts to be fine.

anything < 13.0 volts would be of concern.

Reply to
Elbert

my statement using the words anything are misleading.

somewhere between 13.0 volts and no greater than aroud 14.0 volts would be acceptable.

Reply to
Elbert

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated. mark

Reply to
r_d

THis is too general. Altenators are tempature compensated and the output voltage will vary with case temp. In winter time it is not unusual to set it well above 14 volts at times. On a hot day after it has been running for a while, it could be from 13 to 13.6 volts but not 14 because that could lead to short battery life in a hot climate. Measure voltage at battery too not alt as most alts have remote sensing somewhere in the wiring buss at main distribution for voltage regulation too so it can vary some at battery some under heavy load.

Reply to
SnoMan

I understand you response, in the summer time expect a little lower voltage and in winter expect a little more... I guess we will have to wait till winter to see what it does. Luckily they can be changed in 5 min or so.

Thanks for the response, mark

Reply to
r_d