Number plates

I have noticed that the front registration plate on my 2004 MB is held in place only by bits of double sided sticky tape.

This might look neat, but is it secure? Surely anyone can rip it off.

David

Reply to
David J

aren't there holes for screws?

Reply to
jdoe

Yes, there are in the car. But the plate was not drilled for them...

David.

Reply to
David J

you must not be in the US, because I've never seen a US plate without holes for screws. Nonetheless why don't you drill small holes in the plate yourself?

Reply to
jdoe

You are right - I'm in the UK.

Of course I could drill 4 holes to match the car. Traditionally this is how plates have always been secured. I don't know if the MB plate fixing holes are threaded.

This adhesive method is new to me, (I have since noticed it on other newish cars here) and I wonderered if it would stand the test of time.

Or will I find the plate missing one fine day? .....

David

Reply to
David J

They are in the ones I've seen, try putting an appropriate sized screw to check before drilling your plates

Can't help you with the adhesive, I don't know what was used

Reply to
jdoe

Most mercedes cars in the UK have the plates mounted in black frames. One of my cars (the SLK) has this wrapped round the pointed end of the car so the sticky things will not work. I drilled through the plate to correspond with the fixing positions for the sticky pads and used self tapping screws into there. The screws have white plastic covers so they are disguised. I noticed that my A class was supplied with this already done by the dealers. The original SLK Plate never stuck at the edges, it just wanted to be straight rather than curved. The screws hold it in place properly.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Interesting..

This car is a second-hand (2004) CLK 240. When bought recently it had no numbers fitted, and I was told that the first owner had retained his 'personal plates'. Surprisingly the DVLA then re-allocated the original number supplied to the first owner, as shown in the MB documents I have inherited, and this plate was fitted by the dealer.

The front fender of the CLK is a tad curved also (not as much as your SLK) so maybe the sticky tape method will not hold my front plate permanently.

This car was not supplied by our local MB main dealership, who I am sure would not have used such a poor solution to a simple problem.

I agree that covered self tapping screws will be the best answer.

David

Reply to
David J

That is actually normal practice. They always try to resissue the original number.

Its like the C class which is also a bit curved and difficult to get it to stick (I have one of those too).

Do you have the original black frame that the plate is meant to fit into? Screwing intothat plus the sticky pads is what our dealer is now doing.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Interesting..

This car is a second-hand CLK 240. When bought recently it had no numbers fitted, and I was told that the first owner had retained his 'personal plates'. Surprisingly the DVLA then re-allocated the original number supplied to the first owner, as shown in the MB documents I have inherited, and this plate was fitted by the dealer.

The front fender of the CLK is a tad curved also (not as much as your SLK) so maybe the sticky tape method will not hold my front plate permanently.

This car was not supplied by our local MB main dealership, who I am sure would not have used such a poor solution to a simple problem.

I agree that covered self tapping screws will be the best answer.

David

Reply to
David J

Sorry - I seem to have munged this thread by corrupting the header!!

No, I reckon that the first owner took that with his personal plate attached to it. I'll have to take a look in at the local MB Parts Dept to get this frame.

David

Reply to
David J

This is perhaps the longest thread I've ever seen over a couple of screw holes.

Reply to
Ernesto

You need to read between the lines. Over here in the UK people steal number plates of cars, then steal petrol, get speeding tickets and the real number owner has to prove it was not them. It is a serious problem.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

They are available from other sources. I have seen them on sale for use on other types of vehicle. They do make the plate more secure as you cant easily get under the edge to prize it off. In fact when I had to change mine on one of the cars it was so well stuck down with the sticky pads I broke the frame.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson