Slightly OT:Stuborn Screw

Howdy all This is a little OT but I hope you can help. I'm having trouble getting a screw out of the sunroof motor of my Alfa. The screw runs through the sunroof motor through the roof and into the outer sunroof spoiler. The motor housing is aluminum and the screw is steel with a counter sunk head.

It seems that there is a nut on the back side of the screw, which is completely inaccessible, that has broken loose and freely spins. I have been unable to loosen or tighten the screw. I have tried downward pressure on the motor assembly and upward pressure on the spoiler assembly. Either of these make the screw harder to turn, but won't put enough binding pressure on the nut to loosen it. I can't grasp the screw head with anything because it is counter sunk too far into the motor assembly.

Any creative solutions?

Reply to
Brian Jones

. . . grind the head off with a dremel tool

MarshMonster ~:~ //////////////// Slightly OT:Stuborn Screw Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Oct 26, 2003, 8:20pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Brian=A0Jones) Howdy all This is a little OT but I hope you can help. I'm having trouble getting a screw out of the sunroof motor of my Alfa. The screw runs through the sunroof motor through the roof and into the outer sunroof spoiler. The motor housing is aluminum and the screw is steel with a counter sunk head. It seems that there is a nut on the back side of the screw, which is completely inaccessible, that has broken loose and freely spins. I have been unable to loosen or tighten the screw. I have tried downward pressure on the motor assembly and upward pressure on the spoiler assembly. Either of these make the screw harder to turn, but won't put enough binding pressure on the nut to loosen it. I can't grasp the screw head with anything because it is counter sunk too far into the motor assembly. Any creative solutions?

Reply to
Marsh Monster

try using an old screwdriver and epoxy or super glue to attach the screwdriver to the screw...... let it set as needed and then try pulling out as you turn the screw...

Reply to
mac davis

I'm having trouble getting a screw out of the sunroof motor of my Alfa.

The screw runs through the sunroof motor through the roof and into the outer sunroof spoiler.

The motor housing is aluminum and the screw is steel with a counter sunk head.

It seems that there is a nut on the back side of the screw, which is completely inaccessible, that has broken loose and freely spins.

I have been unable to loosen or tighten the screw.

I have tried downward pressure on the motor assembly and upward pressure on the spoiler assembly.

I can't grasp the screw head with anything because it is counter sunk too far into the motor assembly.

Any creative solutions? =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mac=A0davis) wrote......

try using an old screwdriver and epoxy or super glue to attach the screwdriver to the screw...... let it set as needed and then try pulling out as you turn the screw... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

that's qualifies as one of the stupidest pieces of advice i have ever heard.

that reminds me of the Marine that came by and dropped his car off at the shop to have the "AIR CHANGED" in all the tires...... (true story)

lmao.....

Scrib Abell ~suggests you grind the head off~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Scrib Abell

reviewing the source, i'll ignore the flame... the glue trick has worked for me several times, i guess i'm not smart enough for it to not work...

Reply to
mac davis

. . . .

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mac=A0davis) wrote...... try using an old screwdriver and epoxy or super glue to attach the screwdriver to the screw...... let it set as needed and then try pulling out as you turn the screw... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D that's qualifies as one of the stupidest pieces of advice i have ever heard.

that reminds me of the Marine that came by and dropped his car off at the shop to have the "AIR CHANGED" in all the tires...... (true story) lmao.....

Scrib Abell ~suggests you grind the head off~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mac=A0davis) writes......

reviewing the source, i'll ignore the flame... the glue trick has worked for me several times, i guess i'm not smart enough for it to not work... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Mac the knife, How do you expect glueing the screwdriver to the screw...and "pulling down on it while you turn".....to get the thing out, when prying down like hell on the frame didn't hold the concealed nut from turning??????????????????

sounds to me like.....you flamed yerself by not knowing what yer talking about, and making a rediculous suggestion as to how to get the job done. You really did sound like an IDIOT....by what you told the guy to do. Scrib made a legitimate repair suggestion. You posted a completely absurb technique.

maybe you just didn't read the post correctly...

marsh monster ~suggests grinding the head off~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks guys. I had to drill off the head to get it apart. The cause of the problem was a nut-sert that had locktite on it(stupid Idea) The nutsert let loose before the locktite and it was all over.

Reply to
Brian Jones

like i said to the other troll... the superglue has helped me before and probably will again.... i guess if i had the intelligence and experience needed to grind it off (if it isn't recessed into a deep hole), it wouldn't have worked and the screw would still be in...

Reply to
mac davis

. . . snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mac=A0davis) wrote...... try using an old screwdriver and epoxy or super glue to attach the screwdriver to the screw...... let it set as needed and then try pulling out as you turn the screw... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D that's qualifies as one of the stupidest pieces of advice i have ever heard. that reminds me of the Marine that came by and dropped his car off at the shop to have the "AIR CHANGED" in all the tires...... (true story) lmao..... Scrib Abell ~suggests you grind the head off~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mac=A0davis) writes...... reviewing the source, i'll ignore the flame... the glue trick has worked for me several times, i guess i'm not smart enough for it to not work... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Mac the knife, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0How do you expect glueing the screwdriver to the screw...and "pulling down on it while you turn".....to get the thing out, when prying down like hell on the frame didn't hold the concealed nut from turning?????????????????? sounds to me like.....you flamed yerself by not knowing what yer talking about, and making a rediculous suggestion as to how to get the job done. You really did sound like an IDIOT....by what you told the guy to do. Scrib made a legitimate repair suggestion. You posted a completely absurb technique. maybe you just didn't read the post correctly... marsh monster ~suggests grinding the head off~ ~:~ Re: Slightly OT:Stuborn Screw.....glue it out.... Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Oct 28, 2003, 7:13pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mac=A0davis)

like i said to the other troll... the superglue has helped me before and probably will again.... i guess if i had the intelligence and experience needed to grind it off (if it isn't recessed into a deep hole), it wouldn't have worked and the screw would still be in... //////////////////////////// ///////////////////////////

you didn't answer the question Mr. Davis.

how would your technique have worked with the nut spinning when the guy had already used downward force to hold it?

pop ////////////////////

Reply to
Pop Bunkle

downward force is not what i was talking about... if you secure the head to a screwdriver or ez-out, you can PULL the screw as you turn it, and can sometimes put enough pressure on a spinning nut to back the screw out.. sort of like using a small open end wrench to put upward pressure on the screw when you're removing a toggle bolt from a wall..

Reply to
mac davis

pop //////////////////// snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mac=A0davis) writes.....

downward force is not what i was talking about...

if you secure the head to a screwdriver or ez-out,

you can PULL the screw as you turn it, and can sometimes put enough pressure on a spinning nut to back the screw out.. sort of like using a small open end wrench to put upward pressure on the screw when you're removing a toggle bolt from a wall.. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Mac, alls well.....he got it out.

but....if the screw was overhead...and you were pulling on it.....could'nt that be construed as downward force?

any whooo....... I understand what yer getting at with the concept.

marsh ~tells the grease monkey to get Mac a beer~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Gosh mac, I see you have "best friends" to keep you company over here. Glad to see that you're not lonely!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

damn wascally wabbit!