Studded tires

Anybody out there using studded snow tires?

What's your Pros/Cons?

Reply to
Gung Ho

A Canada con.. I think that use here is illegal..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Not on my truck, but I used to use them on my Impala. Pros: Much better grip in South Dakota winters. Cons: loud, wear out fairly fast if you don't have a lot of snow/ice, illegal in some places.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

STUDS REALLY BITE ON ICE: Really Really Really great on ice, dubious advantage on snow, legal only in winter months in Canada, must be used on all four wheels of a front wheel drive vehicle, can actually reduce traction slightly on dry pavement or concrete, noisy on the road and the vibration they cause could result in slightly reduced wheel bearing life.

It's illegal to do a wheel roller dyno test with studded tires because of the human > > Anybody out there using studded snow tires?

Reply to
Spud

Only prohibited in Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and a few other warmer states.

They are mostly allowed with time of year restrictions.

Reply to
Gung Ho

Ontario is where I live, so no studs.. the Yukon, Northern Territory, Alberta and Saskatchewan have no problem with studs at all.. other provinces allow them but with restrictions..

Apparently, some thirty years ago, it was found that studded tires were the cause of ruts, which when filled with water and then frozen by our great Canadian winter, became a greater hazard than the general conditions..

So we still get the ruts, apparently caused by too many heavy trucks, which when filled with water and then frozen by our great Canadian winter, become a greater hazard than the general conditions..

Maybe studded tires are the answer to traversing these hazards safely.. there was talk of re-assessing the stud issue as stud design has improved greatly over the years.. there was also talk of pegging Hydro (electricity) prices here too.. all just loose talk of course.. we have a lot of that in Ontario..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Pros. Very James Bondy. one of the books (not movie) has him driving a Saab with studs.

Cons. Id it really legal where you are? and have you seen what happens to the concrete floor of your garage? I've only seen pics but it was a mess.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2