Super or Turbo, which?

Hi to all:

I have a real newbie question: What is the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger and which would you all recommend for a '91 S-10 Blazer. Any particular brand? Are either/both difficult to install. I do have a couple of serious wrenchead friends who are willing to help. I would like to keep the pretty good mileage I have now, but get some serious punch to blow off the BMW's on the freeway - or getting away from a stoplight. Thanks.

Dixie

Reply to
Dixie

A supercharger is mechanically driven from the crank shaft, a turbocharger is driven by exhaust gasses flowing through a turbine. I really can't recommend a particular brand though. A supercharger kit is probably way easier and cheaper to find and install. A turbo generally requires custom piping and an air-to-air aftercooler for maximum efficiency and all that adds up in time and $$$.

On a side note here's something pretty slick, a turbocharger directly feeding a supercharger. And whoever tells me what that engine is first, gets a complimentary Hero Cookie. We overhaul them fairly regularly in our shop.

Demon

Looks like a 2 stroke GM Diesel. I can't see enough of it but it might be a

318 Detroit.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That was on Trucks! a while back, out of some semi...

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Al's close enough. You bet it's a dirty old 2 stroke Deeeeetroit, it's an

8V-92 though.

Reply to
Demon

man I love the sound of those things w/ straight pipes!

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I used to own one of those 8V-92T motors. It was in a "Large-Car" international with a fifteen speed overdrive with 355 gears. Man that thing would fly! It was said to raise the rear of the hood at around

95+mph... I raised the hood on several occasions! tires didn't like it much tho :( I didn't like the 75mph speedo's,,, but the compressor was always vibrating loose and dumping oil,,, the a crack in the water jacket led to it's destruction! anyhoo,, philc
Reply to
philc37388

For sure, lots of power out of those 8v92's, it hit about 500hp and

1500ft/lbs on the dyno.The saying I love the most about 2 strokes is that "An oil leak on a Detroit is no cause for consern, when it STOPS leaking oil it's time to panic." This one went to a machine working in the Athabasca tarsands operation in northern Alberta.

Reply to
Demon

lmao.. we used to say the same thing about harley's in the 70's.... (and that if you broke down on the road, there were always lots of spare parts on the shoulder)

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

It's already been done. Ever hear of a Typhoon/ Syclone.

pool

Heard of them, Sure. Those were of course turbo AWD S-series from the factory. Dixie doesn't have one of those. To convert her truck to a turbo truck will cost a boatload of $$$. Finding a supercharger kit would be a much more economical and painless way to achieve the same result.

Reply to
Demon

Just hinting at places to look for the parts. $3,500+ for a Powerdyne or Whipple may not be very "economical" for some people. And painless is no fun. That's what modding is all about (in my opinion anyway).

Reply to
pool

I gotcha, but with so few TySy's that were actually produced you can almost be certain that you will never see one in a bone yard. What I'm sayin is that 3 grand is a low price for gettin boost. Unless of course you can find dirt cheap components, rebuild them yourself, dirt cheap pipeing, have your own mandrel bender and the skills to use it..... you see what I'm getting at.

Now if her serious wrenchhead friends could do all of that she probably wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

Reply to
Demon