SUPERWINCH Locking Hubs/ auto hubs.

1985 K5 4x4

I took the cover off my surperwinch hub. I can't get it to operate properly now. It "clicks" into lock mode, and the hub locks. But when you turn it back to free it still clicks, but it stays locked. It looks to me like it is missing a spring to push the gear that meshes the hub to the axle out. Is there normally a spring here, or am I missing something? There is a gear-like device attached to the spring attached to the cap that pushes the gear IN but this gear doesn't attach to the spring so it doesn't look like it can be pulled OUT?

Sorry for the crude directions.

Now about auto hubs. Just how bad are they for your ride? I was thinking it would be nice to have them so I don't have to get out when it's snowing, but also don't have to push my axle all the time (vibrates slightly at 55mph +) From the looks of it the hub should be an easy thing to R&R and could be replaced with manual hubs during the summer/when mudding etc. Looks like with all the parts it should be maybe a 10 minute job? Any thoughts?

~TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

I had a ton of problems with the auto hubs on my 87 K5. I just replaced them with a good set of Warn hubs. If it looked like I might need to use 4X4 I just turned them in ahead of time.

Reply to
JR

On 26 Jan 2004 09:09:52 -0800, Lonely G-Monkey put forth the notion that...

Sounds like you overtightened the Gorilla nuts.

Reply to
Checkmate

Me too, but it always seams that I need them when I leave the house (basically just to get out of the driveway). Then I'm on highways all the way to work/most of the way to my girl's house. That's when I want them unlocked (and I'm too lazy to unlock them) and then I want them locked again when I 'get there'.

Thanks for the insight. Only known 1 other person with autos and he was having problems with everything but the hubs.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Had too. Forgot to mention the previous owner purchased the wrong kind, and if you don't tighten the piss out of them the wheel can work them loose and your wheel almost falls off doing 70MPH (ask me how I know that one!)

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

once on my Sedan the wheel DID come off doing 120Kmh. the rotor lost a chord about an inch deep on the bootm from rubbing along the road with the brakes on...

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

This would have been the rear wheel. My father's '76 K10 had that happen to the front wheel, but the hub saved it. It finally fell off when he was parking the truck off the side of the highway.

~TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey