Installing manual locking hubs 99 wrangler

Hi there I have a 99 wrangler I am looking to installing a pair of manual locking hubs in the front axle.(dana 30) And wanted to know how hard it was to install? And are manual locking hubs the same as manual locking lockers? I am new to some of this stuff as you may see.

Thanks Jamie any help would be very nice

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Are you looking to get a 2 wheel drive low range or for a couple extra mpg?

All the hub locks do is allow the front wheels to freewheel vs turning the axles as it does now.

Wear and tear is debatable. U-joints that sit tend to rust, spinning ones stay lubed usually.

I get a couple mpg less when driving with the hubs locked.

You will need to swap your hub, spindle and axles out. I don't know if you can do that and even keep the rims you now have either. A CJ setup has a different wheel rim bolt measurement.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Why? Are the auto locking hubs broken? No, a locker is a different animal. So, which do you want to install? A locker system for your axle, or locking hubs?

tw

Reply to
twaldron

The conversion kits run $800.00 plus, and you may have to have your stock wheel's center hole machined to fit over the new hub. It's your money but if you want to spend it to upgrade your Jeep I'd look at something else, like a winch.

You'd be taking apart the front axle, replace the axleshafts, install new spindles, bearings and such, installing new hubs.

And are manual locking

No. A "locker" is a locking differential, which positively locks together the axleshafts inside the differential in low-traction situations. A manual locker does this with a lever or switch, an automatic locker does it, well, automatically.

It's a similar concept as a limited-slip differential, but not the same, as an LSD will allow some slippage and differentiation.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Yep that is a Chysler trade mark, not only remove the lockut hubs but also make it a expensive and painfull process to do so. Chysler came up with those bastard hubs in 73 and used them 73 to 79 on full time

4x4's then then brought it back in late 80's on some models (now it is on every 4x4 they make) and forced it on to Jeeps too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks all of you. I was not sure if the hubs were the same as lockers or not. I have a warn m8000 winch. I was looking at a few MPG more and

2 Wheel low would also be nice. How munch would it cost to get it installed? And does anyone know of a cheap good hubs I can get? I also have a extra pair of rims around here for the jeep. They said they were from a 87 YJ. They are 15 inch The rims I have now are from a 2005 jeep I was told and are 16 inch. I will have to get new tires it looks like to.
Reply to
Jamie Mello

First off, you're not going to recoup your investment in putting manual hubs on just to save a squirt or two of gas on the rare occasion you will be in 2LO. Especially if that's the only reason you're removing your auto hubs. If you're in LOW, you probably want 4WD, at least where I roll you do. Please explain your reasoning for the hub change.

Secondly, you will need wheels with a centerbore for a manual 4WD hub. You won't find any YJ or TJ wheels that fit that bill. If you can hang with 15" tires, you will have more options and find cheaper tires.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

I guess at first I was thinking it was a manual locker. But it would be nice to have a 2 wheel drive low. The reason is that I want to install a locker up front and I think manual hubs would nice to have.

Reply to
Jamie Mello

You will need to find out what the hubs take for rims. They changed the bolt pattern in 86/87.

I would use google and search for conversion kits.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I will do that Thank you

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Actualy 2lo is doable. There should be a vacum disconnet on front axle housing on passanger side by diff. It you "switch" disable it, the front axle would not full engage. Like other posters said it is not cost effective to convert to hubs. Actually the "cheapest way to do it would be to swap in a complete older axle with hubs as it would be cheaper than buying kits and it would be easier to swap axle than instal hub kit too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

He has a 99 so his front end is full time, no disconnect.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I knew they did that but was not sure when they switched over. There simply is no excuse for them to sell Jeeps of that type that way just to save a few bucks building them. Chysler has not done Jeep any favors on this.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan