What type of tire did the '01 Bullitt use?

I'm quickly tiring of the freeway drone I get from the Bridgestone Potenza's, and I'm thinking of installing something quieter. The Potenza's are great in moderate or wet weather, but suck when it's below freezing, and the freeway noise is hideous. I remember this thing using Goodyear Gatorback's when it was new. Did the '01 Bullitt's use Gaterbacks from the factory, or something else?

Incidentally, I've committed the ultimate sin: Reverse Modding. I removed the Tri-Ax and reinstalled an OEM shifter. It was so noisy at any speed that I couldn't stand it anymore. Hell, I even reinstalled the rubber air intake snorkel and the MAF screen. I've gotten to the point where I'm just sick of all the noise that some of these mods produce, and this was part of the reason that I don't drive the car as much as I used to.

Only two mods I've ever done were REALLY worth the money and time: the Bullitt Suspension System and the frame strengthening mods. The Bullitt suspension is the best damn thing Ford has ever designed, and the subframe connectors with seat bracing, 4-point K-frame brace and strut tower brace only make it perform better. It's OEM comfortable around town, only drops the car

3/4", and still delivers very crisp road manners in the twisties, thanks to the linear-rate springs and custom-valved shocks. Highly recommended to anyone who wants a serious handling upgrade without sacrificing ride quality.

Yeah, I know my website is down. Working on a redux. I'm single again, and I've taken a new job that keeps me busy 24/7, so it may be a while. I've also decided to let me hair grow back down to my ass, so that I can get a friggin' date sometime this decade. A cool car, thick wads of cash and being heterosexual just doesn't seem cut it anymore. And having to drive the Winter Beater around ain't helping matters either.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Bullitt's used the same gatorback tires as the GT

Reply to
me

I read a thread in one of the forums at the IMBOC website that said his car had factory installed Goodyear Eagles. I don't think he was very happy about the wet weather performance of the tire.

Check it out, sounds like you might not want them, good luck. Dennis Black 03 GT

Reply to
Dennis
** Bullitt's used the same gatorback tires as the GT

Gotcha - thanks!

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams
** I read a thread in one of the forums at the IMBOC website that said his car ** had factory installed Goodyear Eagles. I don't think he was very happy ** about the wet weather performance of the tire. **
** ** Check it out, sounds like you might not want them, good luck.

Sounds like that particular driver was moving too fast for the conditions he encountered. Unless you drive like Grandma in the rain, you're going to end up being a greasy K-rail stain.

I doubt I will end up with another set of Gatorbacks; they didn't wear well, had no rim-guards, and were expensive. I do little 'ultra-HP' driving these days, and the noise from Z-rated HP rubber for me lately is unacceptable. Stiffer, linear springs don't quiet things down much either. I'll keep-a-lookin'; thanks for the info.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

JD, you may want to take a look at the Kumho ECSTA's. I have a set of the HR rated 245/45's on my car and they are a very good tire. I know they're not Z's, but I really can't tell the difference. They handle the same as Gatorbacks in dry weather, and quite a bit better in wet.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I have been sitting here trying to recall if I have ever heard any noise from my Potenza's, and I don't think I have. Not until I re-read the rest of your post about noise did I remember the exhaust mods and shifter mods. With that noise, plus the radio, I don't think I could hear to much of anything else.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

And I think the gatorbacks are very noisey tires. Take a look at TIRERACKS reviews and ratings and see how they compare. I put Yoko AVS-Dbs on my GT and they were quiet when they were new. Now that they have a wear pattern they are getting noisey too. The mechanic at the local Ford dealer I trust says they get a lot of noise complaints when these wide tires get to be half worn.

The underlying problem is that the 99+ GTs are overall noiser then the Fox bodies were, probably due in part to the use of Urethane bushings in many spots that previously used plain rubber bushings.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

I've just installed a set of Toyo Proxes FZ4 performance all season

245/45ZR/17's on my '02. Very pleased with them in the wet and snow. Haven't had a chance to check them out on warm dry pavement yet (middle of the winter here). Decent tread pattern + rimguards, aaaannd they list cheaper than most others for daily use. 5 year road hazard but no mileage warrantee. The FZ4's will be discontinued, to be replaced with their Proxes 4. More info here
The gatorbacks are only listed as a 'summer radial' read that as "dry weather" and are a piece of crap! I guess Ford thinks we only drive Mustangs on sunny summer days.
Reply to
Jafo
** And I think the gatorbacks are very noisy tires. Take a look at ** TIRERACKS reviews and ratings and see how they compare. I put Yoko ** AVS-Dbs on my GT and they were quiet when they were new. Now that ** they have a wear pattern they are getting noisey too. The mechanic at ** the local Ford dealer I trust says they get a lot of noise complaints ** when these wide tires get to be half worn. ** ** The underlying problem is that the 99+ GTs are overall noiser then the ** Fox bodies were, probably due in part to the use of Urethane bushings ** in many spots that previously used plain rubber bushings.

They were quieter than the Potenza 730's, but you're right: they were lousy performers. I did take another look at tirerack.com, and the reviews for GB's are pretty bad.

I got to talking to some gearheads this afternoon about this, and it's their opinion that the stiffer, linear Bullitt suspension is probably the culprit, not the tires. I stuck with the stock rubber bushings in an effort to keep the noise down, so this is probably the best it will get.

And let's face it: 245mm tires are going to exhibit SOME road noise, regardless of type or brand. You can't have your cake and eat it too I guess.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://209.142.8.13/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** I have been sitting here trying to recall if I have ever heard any noise ** from my Potenza's, and I don't think I have. Not until I re-read the rest of ** your post about noise did I remember the exhaust mods and shifter mods. With ** that noise, plus the radio, I don't think I could hear to much of anything ** else.

I rest my case! Actually, the theory about the linear Bullitt springs transmitting more noise into the cabin makes sense to me. It's not horrible or anything, just slightly annoying. The tires work great though, unless it's sub-zero out.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://209.142.8.13/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

What exactly do you mean by "linear bullit springs"?? The 99 GT factory springs were linear rate. Are linear springs generally noisier then variable rate? I think in 03 they went back to variable rate. Some/All years of the fox bodies were variable rate I think.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

wow, you REALLY don't like noise do you ? On the Tri-ax , you might try a mgw shift handle and use the supplied insulator. I am about to try this on an 03. I can't imagine going back from a tri-ax to the OEM shifter, that OEM thing isn't exactly the greatest shifter.

Rein

Yeah, I seem to recall my 95GT getting louder as well with the Steeda sport springs and urethane bushings all around.

Personally I don't care that much. If you want a quiet, cushy ride you might consider a different type of car ?

Rein
** What exactly do you mean by "linear bullitt springs"?? The 99 GT ** factory springs were linear rate. Are linear springs generally ** noisier then variable rate? I think in 03 they went back to variable ** rate. Some/All years of the fox bodies were variable rate I think.

By 'linear bullitt springs', I refer to the springs included '01 Bullitt GT kit that I installed on my '98 GT. The compression rates are linear, as opposed to progressives which are included stock on all Mustangs up until

1999. After that, all GT's got 450/210's; coupes got 400/190's. The 01 Bullitt got 600/275's, which are much more aggressive than any OEM GT/Coupe/Cobra ever sold.

While the matching shocks/struts keep the ride civilized, a bit more road noise is transmitted into the cabin, especially if you use tires utilizing a large, blocky tread pattern. Urethane bushings transmit more noise than do OEM rubber bushings.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://209.142.8.13/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I've had excellent luck with the Gatorbacks in both traction and wear. I got 40K outta one pair, I screwed up another one on my own by not getting an alignment done when I KNEW I should have. The set that's currently on the car is wearing quite well also (2 years, 30K miles) except for the outside of the driver front (thanks to me and a tendency to take off-ramps a tad bit aggressively).

On a decent launch at a dragstrip I can cut a 2.08 or so 60', well I used to be able to before the Bullitt suspension kit went on. I guess I got no complaints with 'em.

On the noise issue, spring rate won't have any appreciable effect on the transmission of road noise as long we're talking real-world applications and not going to extremes like putting a set of ultra huge (way-too-heavy-for-the-car, beyond-the-scope-of-reality kind of huge) truck springs. We're talkin' about coil springs of similar (not exactly the same, but still similar) diameter and length, wound in different configurations.

The bushings, however, have a profound effect on the noise. The Bullitt kit came with the stock rubber bushings but I tossed 'em in favor of the Energy Suspension Polyurethane pieces for the coil isolaters, strut bushings, and A-arm bushings. It tightened everything up just as I had hoped it would but the increase in transmitted road noise is quite obvious. I knew it was gonna happen and was prepared for it so I don't mind it a bit, especially since the car drives so well. It's been about a year and a half and the kit seems to be holding up quite nicely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

I think the 03 cobra has 600 front and rear rates.

btw; with thelinear springs, aren't they supposed to give you a soft ride on normal driving and harder when you do more faster turns ?

yup. Experienced that.

Rein

The polyurtheane bushings last much longer than the rubber. I've used them for years and never felt they got softer or worn out. Only negative part about them was the noise coming form them when cold. (squeeky) Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein
** The bushings, however, have a profound effect on the noise. The ** Bullitt kit came with the stock rubber bushings but I tossed 'em in ** favor of the Energy Suspension Polyurethane pieces for the coil ** isolaters, strut bushings, and A-arm bushings.

I found the Bullitt bushings to be stiffer than the OEM GT bushings, and you're right: they do make a big difference in cabin noise.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to