Tires unbalanced or something else>

I had new rims and ties put on my 90 Suburban about a month ago. It felt like the new tires were unbalanced so I took it back to be checked and they said it was the shocks. I don't believe it. Since the tires that were on it when I bought it last year were soo bad I don't have a good reference, but am assuming that it should not be doing this. Any ideas what might cause a rumble like unbalanced tires? At this point I am thinking I will take it to someone else and have them rebalanced anyway. Anything thoughts before i spend my $25 or whatever it cost to check them?

Thanks!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

This happened right after you got the new tires? How bad were the old tires? Do the new tires have aggressive tread? Maybe it is normal road noise for that tire. I agree with you that I don't think it is the shocks.

Reply to
John

If they are wheels with a larger center hole than the originals they could be off center. And, they should be removed, they are unsafe.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

What size are the new ones and what wheels? If you went with something like a 20" wheel and a real low profile tire you can expect a very rough ride.

What are you feeling that makes you think they are unbalanced? Vibration at speed? Steering wheel shake? Vehicle shake? Front? Rear?

If your only hearing a rumble it may be normal for the tires you selected. It could also be a problem with a bearing or hub causing it as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Not sure if it was the same on the 90, but I know that it is highly recommended that you run a hub centric wheel on the NBS 99 and up trucks/suvs. If it was the same for the 90 and you are running lug centric, this could be part of the issue. Depending on the type and size of the tire, the balance job could be bad, or a weight was thrown. I have found the best balancing with the stick on weight bars and not clamp ons. Also, you never mentioned if the shocks are new, old, or even (god forbid) OE and never replaced. If they are OE or even a couple years old, they very well might be part of the problem.

But it could also be numerous other things like worn ball joints, or other front end problems.

Reply to
azwiley1

When I bought the truck they were oversized and pretty chewed up, so it was even worse then.

No, I put stock sized rims on it, and street tires, so they should be very quiet.

off center.

Good thought. I will take a look, but so long as the lugs are seated flush I would not think there would be a problem.

I put stock size rims/tires to try to get away from the noise and wandering.

speed? Steering wheel shake? Vehicle shake? Front? Rear?

The whole truck shakes like a tire is unbalanced, but I can't seem to determine if it is worse front or back. It is very hard to tell. Given it happens at all speeds, but more pronounced at higher speeds, I am just very suspicious of the balancing.

This is my fear. I may just re-balance them and then if it does not resolve it start changing bearings. It has >200K and am not sure if the rear has ever been done, but I think the front has recently.

recommended that you run a hub centric wheel on the NBS 99 and up trucks/suvs.

Never heard of such a thing. I will have to do some research as you are over my head, but I think what you said makes sense. That would certainly enplane what I am experiencing.

and never replaced.

They are old and on my "to do" list. Not sure if they are OEM, but very well could be. But given the shaking I am confident it is not that, or at least mode than that. It's not one of those "I think I feel something" sort of deals but rather "what the heck is that!" sort of deals.

Thank you all for your thoughts. It gives me much to consider. Considering I am not a mechanic, and am learning on teh fly, your input and help is invaluable! I will do some more poking around before I go spend any more cash trying to resolve it.

Thanks again!

-Michael in Bedford, VA

Reply to
Michael

You seem to be describing some violent shaking. I wouldn't bet on balancing the tires. How about a bent drive shaft?

Reply to
George

Or even out of balance one.

Reply to