31" Tires on my 89 Cherokee

My 80 Ramcharger has 15" wheels with 31" BF Goodrich all-terrain T/A's. Will these wheels and tires fit on my 89 Cherokee, bone stock?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If the lugs fit, the 31's will fit but you will rub like crazy. also you need about 4.5 to 5.25" of backspacing. You really need a 3" lift to clear those. The bigges tire that fits stock is a 30"tire. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Hi Carl,

Your Cherokee has 5 on 4.5" wheel bolt pattern. If your Ramcharger has auto-locking hubs, then the wheels will fit. If it has manual hubs, no luck:

The Cherokee will need a lift and/or fender trimming to fit 31" tires.

Steve

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Nice XJ Steve

(88xj)

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thanks. Inspired by the collective wisdom accumulated in the ramj+w archive.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The tires will fit OK, I am not sure about the rims. If you took the tires off of the Dodge rims and put them onto theJeep rims, you would be in good shape. You can take the tire/wheel combination and put them on the Jeep and see what happens. All you need do is put one Dodge wheel on the Jeep and verify that it doesn't hit stuff like the shocks or other suspension stuff.

The issues are all related to the Dodge rims. The bolt pattern and the offset - or backspacing - are the critical factors.

Reply to
CRWLR