02 silverado rear brakes

How do you get the rear brake disk/drums off, I relaxed the cables but they are still catching on the e/brake shoes.

Reply to
mark

As I recall, there are a couple washers that are pressed over the studs on each side. They are supposed to keep the drum/rotor assembly in place. You will need to cut them off to get the drum/rotor off. Use a dremel, a cut off wheel or a cold chisel and hammer. Other than this, just work it around like you would do any "normal" drum brake set up, try whacking it with a mallet to "free" a stuck shoe.

Reply to
azwiley1

Actually they are little speed nuts the will thread right off with a little effort. You would know this is you were not a troll.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Fuck you douch bag. When I did the parking brakes on my 99 there was a washer on two of the studs on each side that had to be removed. Obviosly there was a slight design difference. But unlike you, my advice is never going to kill some one and unlike you, I didn't tell the OP to trade it in, like you have done so many times.

Reply to
azwiley1

He's probably too stupid to understand that he has to back off the brake shoe adjustment in order to get the drums off.

Reply to
nonsense

Are you refering to me? I take it that you are another one of the Snoballs worshipers?

Reply to
azwiley1

Naw, I worship mothballs, doesn't everyone?

Reply to
nonsense

Reply to
Dave

Guess what. He'd rather fight.

Reply to
nonsense

Rather fight, naw, not worth it, esspecially when it comes to Snoballs. However, to say that by "simply" backing off the shoe adjustment and they come right off is not true. If you have a vehicle that has never had them serviced, as I have worked on, they did not budge when it was backed off. Like most typical drums, they can hang and freeze up, due to various factors. All of which I am sure that Snoball and his two followers (nonsense and Dave) would know about but you three are never wrong.

Reply to
azwiley1

If you're as incapable as you're making yourself sound it is probably better for the world that you're unable to actually service your brakes.

There, I feel a lot safer now.

Reply to
nonsense

Explain to me where anything I have said indicated that I was incapable of anything? Please, I am waiting. See the thing is, nothing I have ever said, or indicated or otherwise, would lead one to that conclusion. But just like your lover Snoball, you would thing that. Whatever, in your case, your name says it all.

Reply to
azwiley1

Glad to hear you know what I "thing".

Reply to
nonsense

Whatever asshole, you knew exactly what I meant, but are to stupid to follow up with it and actually answer the question before you.

Reply to
azwiley1

Not much else you can do other than work on it and rock it around. The E-Brake shoe only releases a little and it also floats inside the drum. They can be fun if the shoe has flexed some.

If your doing a brake job on it replace the shoe with the newer version and adjust the clearance before you put the rotor back on.

Reply to
Steve W.

Good luck backing off the adjuster on the P-Brake on a disk equipped Silverado. It is NOT accessible with the disk on.

Steve W.

Considering that BOTH of you are wrong this time I wouldn't throw stones.

Notice the OP said he had rear DISK brakes? He is fighting the E-Brake shoe and the adjuster is NOT accessible without having the disk/drum off. All you can do is release the cables and work them off.

Reply to
Steve W.

Actually Steve, for what it is worth, if you were to read my original reply to the OP, you would see that in part, I said the very same thing you did. I have a NBS 99 that has the very same setup (disk brake/drum parking) and had a very similar issue. Anyway...

Reply to
azwiley1

Spoilsport!

Reply to
nonsense

I noticed. Just getting tired of the noise in here....

Reply to
Steve W.