Trans. filter change

A curious question for those who may know:

1994 K1500 460LE.

Every time I replace the transmission filter (about ten times-175K mi.) I use the GM part. The kit comes with a "seal" that is supposed to go in the filter mounting hole. I have never used the seal. It looks like the seal was a post-production modification. I can see the benefit of it but to install it you need to drive it in with a tool I don't have. Knowing that I could drive it in with a proper size socket and hammer I am afraid of not doing it perfectly straight and then having the nightmare of removing it--you know the scenario.

Anyhow, I was just looking for info on the reason this was added, does GM consider it "mandatory", and if yes, the best way to install it. As I said, I have around 175K miles on the truck with the original transmission and absolutely no problems to date (knock on wood, not tempting fate here!) and don't feel like necessarily changing what is working.

Any thoughts?

//Hunter

Reply to
hunter

This wasn't a post-production modification, all of the 4L60e transmissions are like that. Your seal is stuck up inside the valve body where you can't see it. They almost always get stuck, and when you remove the filter it just stays put. Don't worry about it, and just continue doing what you're doing.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

GM uses this type of seal on a few of their transmissions. I have a 1999 K1500 with a 460LE and I've always replaced the seal. It is shrouded by the valve body a little, but I always use a small hook on a small slide hammer to pull it out. Then I get an old deep socket and after starting it by hand as straight as possible I lightly tap it in until it's flush with the case. Just watch when you tap it in if it starts going crooked, tap a little to the high side to straiten it out. The key here is light taps with a small ball-peen hammer.

By not replacing it you run the risk of tearing the seal and sucking air at the filter.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

that seal is a bastard!!

same sort of thing on the 700R4-- and I'll venture, teh same seal and filter!

I always replace mine, but I'm anal like that. It's a bastard to get out... and don't scratch the sealing surface around it.

If you do leave the old seal in, be sure to take the new one off the new filter. I've known folks who destroyed their tranny by not removing it and "doubling up"...

Reply to
burntkat

. . . ======== ======== Re: Trans. filter change

Jul 4, 2004, 1:12pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc)

This wasn't a post-production modification, all of the 4L60e transmissions are like that. Your seal is stuck up inside the valve body where you can't see it. They almost always get stuck, and when you remove the filter it just stays put. Don't worry about it, and just continue doing what you're doing.

Doc ========= =========

What the Doc said.

Jest take a look up in there everytime you change the filter and make sure that the rubber that seals the tube isn't fubared from slaming the filter in so many times.

As long as it's taking a little effort to get the filter out (meaning it's still sealing)...and the seal isn't coming apart....all's well.

MarshMonster ~:~ ========== ==========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks for all the input, sounds good. The seal is still good (filter is hard to remove and replace) and I can see it about 1" up the hole. The new seal design seems that it will stop at the surface of the hole and not go in. I almost put it in while leaving the other seal up in the hole, glad I did not. I will just keep doing as is and when the filter no longer fits tightly I use the small hook and slide hammer technique, great idea.

Thanks again.

//Hunter

Reply to
hunter

. . ======= ======= Re: Trans. filter change Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Jul 5, 2004, 11:04am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@gate.net (hunter)

Thanks for all the input, sounds good. The seal is still good (filter is hard to remove and replace) and I can see it about 1" up the hole. The new seal design seems that it will stop at the surface of the hole and not go in. I almost put it in while leaving the other seal up in the hole, glad I did not. I will just keep doing as is and when the filter no longer fits tightly I use the small hook and slide hammer technique, great idea.

Thanks again. //Hunter ========== ==========

Your using the wrong filter.

but.....that's jest a guess.... based on what you jest posted.

MarshMonster ~:~ ======== ========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Nope Marsh- I've had the same problem and it was just fine.

Reply to
burntkat