transmission ??

I have been having the p1870 code(lucky me)but was told by the gmc dealer that the valve body was in bad shape trash sludge and thinks like that was in there and causing it to go into hard shifts,and that they could repair it but couldn't guaranty the repair.They recommended to just drive it till it wouldn't drive no more and not to rebuild it just buy new one when the time comes. I called around to some trans shop and so far around a $250 fix and have it flushed out and hopefully last until next income tax season. The truck is a 99 gmc suburban 111000 miles the trans is a 4l60e.

would the valve body repair be worth doing? I would like a better Transmission than this one when the time comes, and knowing my luck it's going to be very soon. What are your suggestions for a new transmission, and if a more heaver duty trans is put in should I up grade the coolers are any thing else?

Reply to
kdm

Shep

"kdm" wrote: > I have been having the p1870 code(lucky me)but was told by the > gmc dealer > that the valve body was in bad shape trash sludge and thinks > like that was > in there and causing it to go into hard shifts,and that they > could repair it > but couldn't guaranty the repair.They recommended to just > drive it till it > wouldn't drive no more and not to rebuild it just buy new one > when the time > comes. I called around to some trans shop and so far around > a $250 fix and > have it flushed out and hopefully last until next income tax > season. The > truck is a 99 gmc suburban 111000 miles the trans is a 4l60e. > > would the valve body repair be worth doing? > I would like a better Transmission than this one when the time > comes, and > knowing my luck it's going to be very soon. > What are your suggestions for a new transmission, and if a > more heaver duty > trans is put in should I up grade the coolers are any thing > else?

Has this tranny been regularly serviced? This is a unsual diagnoisis and questionable. For starter change fiuld and filter yourself and freshen things up a bit and check condition of inside of tranny pan for dirt and sludge and get a better picture of what is going on. I have a 89 burb with 172K on it 700R4 (predecessor to 4L60E) and it has been trouble free and still works well but it has had regualr servicing and fluid changes by me and has seen 5 or so of these servicing in its life. Nothing really wrong with a 700R4 or a 4L60E in relatively stock configurations and if they are properly serviced and cooled they will give a very long life.

Reply to
SnoMan

Excause me but dirty oil does accelerate the wear in the bore duh... I have seen lots of these trannies go very long distances that have had regular fluid changes. People mistaking believe that a tranny does not need regualr servicing and nothing can be further from the truth especaily in a heavy RV.

Reply to
SnoMan