Troubleshooting Passlock Security on a 2001 Tahoe

Does anyone in the group have any tips for troubleshooting the Passlock Security system on a 2001 Tahoe?

On occasion, the vehicle fails to start. Waiting for approximately 10 minutes or so usually results in it starting. The exception being the times that you really need the vehicle to start, which makes it seem like a much longer period of time.

The only other symptom is that the Security light will turn on occasionally while driving. It goes off and stays off, if you turn the vehicle off and then restart it.

From what I've read about this so far, it seems that I'm lucky in that the vehicle doesn't stall out while driving. I've seen the fixes that call for bypassing the ignition etc., but would rather fix it once and for all the right way, rather than put a Band-aid on it. BTW, the ignition key has no numbers on it or any appearance of having a chip or battery in it, which makes me believe that this is not a VATS or Passkey type system.

One other piece to the puzzle is that the vehicle also has a dealer installed Code CA510a remote start system in it too. That works, but I have stopped using it due to tripping the alarm and setting off the horn at odd hours of the day or night. Could that be another symptom? For the time being, I just use the key in the door lock to unlock the vehicle and the central door lock button on the driver's side door's armrest to lock it.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis