What size spark plug socket

for 89 S15 4.3l?

Chilton manual is no help.

Reply to
High Sierra
5/8 " Get the one that has a built in universal, much easier around that lovely drivers side plug that GM stuck behind the steering shaft.
Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks.

I have a 5/8 plug socket but couldn't get in on a plug (just tried a couple). Guess I'll have to try harder. I'll let you know if it works.

Reply to
High Sierra

Ok, that works. Just had to try harder. :-) THANKS.

BTW the best way to get at that back plug on drivers side is thru the wheel well with a loong extension. You may have to jack her up a bit. Saw a mechanic do it that way.

Reply to
High Sierra

I still have scars (literally) from the last time I tried to do it any other way. My dearly beloved came home as I was finishing the driver's side, wanted to know why I hadn't jacked it up a little and gone in through the wheel well? 'Cause he was usin' my freakin' jack to hold up a building! (Accompanied by intemperate language...) He felt so bad he finished it up for me. (The easy side, but better than nothing.)

Reply to
Cricket

Yes it's a nasty job. (you know the rest).

Only other vehicle I had a plug changing issue with was a 67 Chevelle 396. Same issue with back plug on drivers side. Not as bad though. Just had to get the socket on it and then put an open end wrench on the socket.

Reply to
High Sierra

You mean jack up the engine a little bit or the entire truck? I wish I had thought of either method when I changed mine. Ouch.

John

1989 S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3L
Reply to
John Manner

Reply to
sidewinder

Just jack up the truck a little so you can put the long extension in over top of the tire.

Reply to
High Sierra

Just the truck on that side - so the space is a little more accessible (and a short armed small person like me is usually happier with the wheel off). John (my John, that is) doesn't pull the wheel, but he's got considerably more reach, so more options.

Reply to
Cricket

Oh I had the wheel off when I did mine, but the steering column was perfectly in front of the plug. I had to use a stub socket and one universal, then I couldn't get it back off because of the column again. Fun stuff. It dropped out on top of the skid plate when I wasn't even touching it of course.

Reply to
John Manner

Oh, of course. When anyone asks either my mechanic or myself what is wrong with my current Blazer, we've both taken to shrugging and answering "It's possessed."

The skinniest extension possible makes a huge difference, that it, it goes from being a twenty-four caret screaming pain, to just a big pain. ;>)

considerably

Reply to
Cricket