Wider Wheels

Since X-mas is near and I need to tell people what to get me :-), I was wondering what size wheels and tires I could go with on my 93 1500 4x4.

I see some driving around here that have wide wheels that stick out about

2-3" and look like they are taller, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Ed,

Do you get snow where you live? If so, fat tires will kill your winter driving experience..................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yeah Doc, we do get allot of snow. Infact, last night was the first snowfall of a whopping 1" I kinda figured someone would say that. That would be a bad thing, cuz up here in upstate NY, you never know when your gonna get a 3 foot snow storm. I just liked the looks of the wider wheels. I just don't like the looks of skinny/tall tires on 16" rims...But whatever is sensible works for me. Thanks

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Reply to
LKN4SNO
31 x 10.50 x 15 Remington Wide Brute tires on my wife's '94 K1500 Suburban and I wouldn't go any wider than that. I've got them mounted on aftermarket aluminum rims and they stick just past the front fender flares and are about even with the rears. Wider stance, though, so it looks good in my opinion. Those are close to stock width. The other guys are right about the fat tires because they "float" and don't really cut as well.

Not sure what it weighed, but I had 33 x 12.50 x 16.5 tires on a '90 K3500 and I never had trouble. Combo of the IFS and heavy chassis made a big difference, though.

Merry Christmas :-) Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Had some 285-75-16 mounted on some centerline aftermarket wheels on my 92 K1500. They stuck out about 2 inches and looked great. Traction was not a problem in the snow. I was running Kelly MSR tires and they had a deep tread, Although they were alfully heavy.

You could always take your stock wheels and mount a half way decent tire on them for the winter months and put the wider tires on on the spring.

Reply to
Mastermech

Ed,

You don't have to go "skinny", just don't go wider than stock. I have a set of BFG AT/KO's on my C1500, LT235/75/15, and they're aggressive as hell in the snow. They fill the wheel well nicely and don't look skinny at all. When I bought her a few years back she had Firehawk SS20's, 255/60/15 which were nice and fat. Looked bad as hell from behind, couldn't get out of my driveway in the snow..........

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

That's what I was just thinking...