95 Integra clutch problem

When I start my car, there is a rattling metal sound when I put in neutral, also, when I am in 2 or 3 gear around 30KM/H, the rattling metal sound happen again.. After a while of driving, it went away. Also, when my engine is warm, the rattling metal sound disappear. The auto shop said that my problem is w/ the clutch and need to be replace. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Thanks,

Reply to
Integra4Honda

Integra4Honda wrote in news:1_594948 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Check for loose heat shields on the exhaust.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

As TeGGer says, probably the heat shield. Clutch sounds change when you have the pedal pressed or not. And you can drive on a noisy clutch for years and years. Maybe time to find another auto shop?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"michaeltnull" wrote: > "Integra4Honda" wrote in > message > news:1_594948 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com... > > When I start my car, there is a rattling metal sound when I > put in > > neutral, also, when I am in 2 or 3 gear around 30KM/H, the > rattling > > metal sound happen again.. After a while of driving, it went > away. > > Also, when my engine is warm, the rattling metal sound > disappear. The > > auto shop said that my problem is w/ the clutch and need to > be > > replace. Can anyone confirm that for me? > >

Thanks for your replies. If it is a loose heatshield, am I in any danger in driving the car? The problem of the rattling metal sound started only couple of weeks back.

Reply to
Integra4Honda

"Integra4Honda" wrote: > Thanks for your replies. If it is a loose heatshield, am I > in any danger in driving the car? The problem of the > rattling metal sound started only couple of weeks back.

one more thing to add. The sound is coming from the front left side of my car. Is that also consistent with Heat shield?

Reply to
Integra4Honda

Integra4Honda wrote in news:1_599960 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Could be. Sound travels, so it may not actually be from that location at all. A stock exhaust has heat shields all over the place, including two bracketing the exhaust manifold.

Get underneath and start wiggling them and tapping them with a finger. The loose one will soon be obvious.

The two that make the most noise are the upper cat and the inner manifold ones.

You can replace it if you wish. Most of them are in the $20-$50 range. You can also just rip them off (although I do not recommend this approach). If you tear off the ones for the catalytic converter, don't park over dry grass.

One I haven't heard in a while is the A-pipe rattle, which used to be vvery common. If your heat shileds are tight, and nothing else is loose, you might want to have that checked out.

TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote: > Integra4Honda wrote in > news:1_599960 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com: > > > "Integra4Honda" wrote: >  > > Thanks for your replies. If it is a loose > heatshield, am I >  > > in any danger in driving the car? The problem of > the >  > > rattling metal sound started only couple of weeks > back. > > > > one more thing to add. The sound is coming from the front > left side > > of my car. Is that also consistent with Heat shield? > > > > > > Could be. Sound travels, so it may not actually be from that > location at > all. A stock exhaust has heat shields all over the place, > including two > bracketing the exhaust manifold. > > Get underneath and start wiggling them and tapping them with a > finger. The > loose one will soon be obvious. > > The two that make the most noise are the upper cat and the > inner manifold > ones. > > You can replace it if you wish. Most of them are in the > $20-$50 range. You > can also just rip them off (although I do not recommend this > approach). If > you tear off the ones for the catalytic converter, don't park > over dry > grass. > > One I haven't heard in a while is the A-pipe rattle, which > used to be vvery > common. If your heat shileds are tight, and nothing else is > loose, you > might want to have that checked out. >

> > -- > TeGGeR® > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

Sorry to sound stupid, but when you say could be. Do you mean could be the heatshield problem or could be in danger of driving.

I am going to trade in my car to a dealership down here in San Jose in about 3 more weeks. I am renting a car to drive now because I don?t want to my car to worsen any further and have to send thousands to fix it.

I drove the car again yesterday, the rattling metal sound is like scraping metal to metal sound and that really freak me out. and happen when I accelerate. But of course, it disappear after I?ve driven it for a while. That?s why everytime I go to my mechanic, the car always sounded fine.

Reply to
Integra4Honda

Integra4Honda wrote in news:1_600096 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

If it's a heat shield, the only danger will be that it will eventually fall off onto the road, get squashed by a truck, skitter around for a few days and eventually get swept into the ditch.

If the noise is intermittent, it could mean that the shield is just starting to come loose and is still holding on well enough that when the exhaust heats up and expands, it's gripped a little better.

If it's a heat shield, it will eventually make noise even when the car is warm. And when it finally falls off, it may make a big bang and thump and scare the daylights out of you.

Reply to
TeGGeR®