97 Acura CL has multiple spark when in On position... does not start

I'm hoping someone somewhere has some info that will help........

My daughters 97 Acura CL needed a new clutch - not having a lot of $$, her boyfriend bought the parts and books, and put in a new one. He had to left the motor up to do it, which meant diconnecting everything.

Now that its all back together... when they put the key to the On position, the "center" plug fires repeatedly... in short bursts... they installed a new rotor and cap, but same thing. I had them remove the cap and rotor, and it sparks in the On position, to the engine in the busts... sorta like a machine gun in short busts...

When they try to start it... the rotor turns, somewhat slowly... and the engine sounds sort like it trying to start... but it doesn't... they connected a spark tester and there is spark getting to the spark plugs.. in the On position, whichever plug aligns with the the rotor gets the bursts of spark... in the Start position, they spark maybe once per second... maybe a little faster....

I had them disconnect the gas line... there was gas that came out when it was disconnected, but I don't see any gas coming out when they try to start it... well, maybe a very little... hardly any... they put some gas into a cylinder (removed the plug, add some gas, replace plug) but it didn't seem to do much.

They feel the computer is bad... they bought one of those error code gadgets, connected it up, but it doesn't read any errors. I took out the fuse for the computer and then got no spark at all... so it seems the computer controls the spark...

So, now to my questions....

Could it be the computer? The car has sat over the winter as they saved up $$ for the parts. Isn't there supppose to be a fair amount of gas coming out of the gas line when you start the car? Is there anything that someone knows that could cause this?

Pete Derkowski - appreciate any and all answers... she was really happy to have the clutch done, and was looking fwd to driving it again...

Reply to
Pete Derkowski

Couple of thoughts: you mentioned it turns over slowly and sat all winter - did you charge the battery? Did it sit with gas in it all winter? Did you pull a spark plug to see if it was wet? When you changed the cap, did you get the wires back on in the right order? MZ

Reply to
MZ