ABS Light and repair

Hello again.

My 1994 Integra GS-R has alerted me with the ABS light.

Upon starting the engine, the ABS lamp illuminates and then extinguishes after a few seconds. When I move the car in the forward direction, the ABS light again illuminates within 20 to 30 feet of forward motion. The light remains illuminated until I shut the engine off.

The above repeats 100% of the time.

From a service manual, none of the fuses suggested are failed, i.e., back-up lights and brakes lights are functional. Brake fluid and ABS reservoir are within limits.

I suspect one or more of the wheel pulse encoder/sensors may be dirty and thus I can attempt to remove and clean same.

This is my reference wen page:

Questions.

  1. Does this seem reasonable, at least for a simple fix? To clean the encoders and inspect for broken teeth?

  1. Is there any preferred cleaning solution for this kind of cleaning?

  2. What have I not considered that may be a simple fix?

  1. My service manual does not have torque specs for the two (2) 10mm bolts per sensor a must remove. What are they and should I use any thread locking compound?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Reply to
T.H

"T.H" wrote in news:HsSdnYOT- vaIJg3SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

You can "suspect", or you can do the job correctly.

Instead of guessing, and wasting lots of time and effort, you should have te ABS computer queried. This procedure will tell you which part of the system the computer has decided is defective.

To query the system: Use a paper-clip or other tool to short the blue 2-pin connector that's sitting loose behid the passenger kick panel. Turn the ignition key to "II'. Count the blinks of the ABS light.

There may be both short and long blinks, and there may be more than one sequence stored. Sequences are separated by a 2-second pause.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:XnsA03BD2D3BFA1Ctegger@208.90.168.18:

By the way, also watch for a blinking Check Engine light. Some problems will cause a trouble code to be stored there as well. These are different from the ABS codes, but follow the same blink protocol.

A long blink = 10, a short blink = 1.

Therefore, long-long-short-short-short would be code 23.

Reply to
Tegger