Acura 2000 RL Stalling

All of a sudden today, several times the car stalled as I was driving. Subsequently, the car couldn't start and appears after several attempt the plugs got flooded. It seems that there is an issue with that which regulates the rpm's as before the car stalled the rpm went to 0 suddenly. I change plugs and gas filter today so after the car stalled once I could drive it. The tank is full of gas. The starter is cranking fast The battery helps the starter crank fast. What could it be?

Reply to
RG

The sudden drop in the tach while the engine was still turning is a vital clue: the problem is ignition related rather than fuel. There are three top suspects: ignition switch, ignitor and coil. Others here can tell you if your 2000 RL was part of Honda's ignition switch recall. If the warning lights (oil pressure, charging, high temp) don't come on when the engine quits it looks real bad for the switch. The other two parts - ignitor and coil - are harder to diagnose.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for your help. Could it be main relay or fuel pump relay?

Reply to
RG

If you are correct about the tach suddenly dropping, it isn't the main relay. If the fuel pressure dies the engine will run down over a period of half a second or so while cruising down the road or over a couple seconds while idling or coasting (the voice of experience!) In fact, just the time it takes for the engine to stop spinning is a lot longer than it takes for the tach to just drop, so when you see the tach drop like a stone you can be certain the ignition is dying.

You don't mention whether it is an auto tranny or manual gearbox, so I'm assuming it is auto. The difference is even more pronounced with a manual, since the engine keeps turning until you depress the clutch. In that case, the tach just follows the engine speed down if the ignition is working and the fuel quits.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee