Brake pads for a 2000 3.2TL

Folks,

I just went to two different auto supply stores, both national chains. At one I was told that the original equipment brake pads were metallic. At the other I was told that the original equipment brake pads were ceramic.

The car was built in June, 2000 if that makes any difference. The first store also offered 'premium' pads that were ceramic, at $39.99, about $10 more than the others.

The second store wanted $57.00 for the ceramic 'original equipment' pads, and $45.00 for the metallic.

I've just read through a lot of posts on TL brake pads, and some say that ceramic pads lead to rotor warp. I have 59,000 miles on the car and the original pads. I want to change them before going on a long summer drive, just in case.

I read many posts that say use original equipment equivalent and that's fine with me, but no one says what type of pad the original equipment was. The posts on the effects of ceramic pads make me think that ceramics are not original equipment.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
retired2000

retired2000 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

This may be correct. Honda did install ceramics on some vehicles in

2000.

El cheapo. They are NOT "original equipment", despite that weaselly name.

There are a LOT of reasons for "warp", some of them not even having anything to do with warpage itself. There's a lot of "Internet wisdom" floating around. Best reference I've found yet:

Why not just pull the wheels off and see how much is left? If you've got more than 3/16" at the thinnest point, you're good to the end of summer.

Call your local Acura dealer and ask. OEM pads are the best to use on your car anyway. There is no "equivalent".

Reply to
Tegger