CA bans free OBD-II checks

Just some FYI for those of you keeping track of such things. Today I went into a CA AutoZone to borrow their OBD-II reader, as I've done before, just to see if my car was ready to pass a Smog Test. They told me that CA, apparently under pressure from all the folks who charge $40 and up for doing a check, has banned the free loan of this test equipment to customers. Plus, they can no longer accept the return of OBD-II testers after they have been purchased - so 'renting' a tester just long enough to run your tests won't work either. Too bad, I thought it was a great service for those of us who only rarely need to run a quick check.

Reply to
Sandy

"Sandy" wrote in news:x2fWl.4435$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.iad:

Old news; at least six years old. This actually predates Ahnold, so I'm not sure who's to blame here.

CA appears to be the one and only North American jurisdiction (out of 63 places) that effectively bans this sort of freebie, so I'm not sure the "folks who charge" for it had anything to do with the ban. Personally, I'm leaning towards the environuts, who are stronger in CA than anywhere else.

Reply to
Tegger