Car vibrates when in gear

Hi,

I have a 92 Integra GS with a replaced motor. When in neutral and engine running, no vibration at all. But when I stick the gear into D, then the car vibrates and when I stop at a stop light.

Any ideas why the car vibrates when in gear?

Motor mounts? If motor mount was the problem, wouldn't it vibrate all the time, even in Neutral. Rear transmission mount? Anyone know where this is located and is it easy to fix?

Thanx in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Hello

"Hello" wrote in news:HmNpf.151134$Gd6.139479@pd7tw3no:

Yep.

No. When in neutral, the idle is elevated, and the engine's vibrations are not as pronounced.

Costs about $100 each for each part. Not including the labor.

I'd just leave it. When the weather warms up, the vibration should be much reduced.

You have two (lower) engine mounts at either side (front and rear) of the bottom of the engine where the bellhousing joins the block. You also have two *upper* mounts. They attach the engine/transmission to the inner fenders.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

A compression test or "cylinder balance" test will tell if one or more cylinders is bad, which would cause a lumpy idle.

Your idle speed in D may be separately adjustable. You can raise it if needed.

Motor mounts only damp minor vibrations in the process of transmitting major vibrations to the body.

One symptom of a broken mount is a feeling of "wind up" when accelerating, that is, a lag in response to the throttle.

Reply to
misterbeets

Maybe it uses the hydraulic rear mount that is used in Hondas of that vintage with automatic trannies. If that's what you have, the mount is vacuum controlled (follow the vacuum line up to the controller valve, probably on the top of the firewall.). Applying vacuum to the mount should soften it and reduce the vibrations. The control valve is to apply vacuum during idle in gear, and release the vacuum other times to firm up the engine mounting.

In my daughter's 93 Accord the vacuum operated valve on the mount is sticky and doesn't always operate unless I nudge it with my fingers. You can try the same on yours... or at least watch to see if the lever moves.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

It does not.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

In very cold weather (the OP is in Canada), the mounts get quite hard, and transmit considerable vibration to the steering wheel. This goes away as it warms up.