car shakes/rough idle when in reverse

92 Teg GS with just replaced engine. Whenever I'm about to back out of a parkade or drive way, I shift in reverse and the car's idle would drop enough to make the car shake. The idle stays lower and when I start turning my steering wheel, it starts to shake even more.

What could be wrong? Why is it when I go in reverse, it seems to drop my idle more than when I'm going forward?

Thanx in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Hello

Found out the reason the car shakes...because of the A/C compressor going on and off when I have the A/C on. I just recently got my A/C recharged. When I'm driving or at idle, I can hear a little "tick" sound coming from under the dashboard. The "tick" sound I think is the A/C compressor turning on and off to control the pressure in the A/C system. I think when the compressor turns on, then my car shakes. Wonder why that is....could there be AIR in the A/C system when it was recharged with R134?

Reply to
Hello

My guess is that the shaking is just from the increased load of the A/C after recharge. It is pretty common, and sometimes recharging will even cause a weakened part (like a compressor clutch) to fail. But recharging when the system is low is still the right thing to do.

The shaking when the A/C on is normal, at least to some extent.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee