91 Camry, Vibrates too much when stopped in gear

I have a 91 Camry LE with automatic trans. I also have an ac. Recently, I have noticed when I stop at a light or stop sign, the car vibrates noticeably. If I put the car in neutral at the stop light or sign, the vibration goes away and runs smoothly. What would be causing this and what should I do?

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

What rpm does the tachometer show when it vibrates?

Reply to
wws

Does turning off the a/c relieve the low idle? When did you change your air filter last?

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org (Al Kondo) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.hal- pc.org:

check your engine mounts........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

Have the same vehicle from new - and same symptom. What is happening is that when you reduce the idle to around 500 by either leaving it gear or pressing the brake you strike the resonant frequency of something which I have never been able to find but which I strongly suspect to be in the transmission.

Years ago I worried over it but then decided to just forget it. Many years have gone by and it never got worse, fact is I think it has gotten better.

My 91 LE was delivered without a single defect or problem of any kind. Until just last week it had never had a repair other than normal replaceables, plugs tires, batteries and front brake pads (rear shoes are original and only one-third gone). Last week had to replace the AC clutch for $390.

Paid 13k for the car and the deal included lifetime free oil changes . In all these years they have changed my oil when I desired, given me free coffee and paper and *washed* the car . Now 155k miles and nearly 15 years and the oil has never been dirty. What a car!

Reply to
Blue

Does this happen all the time, or only when the AC is on? Try checking the idle air control Module

Reply to
Drewzella