Replacement Tires

I just bought a new 2006 Outback a couple of months ago, as a replacement for my '98 OBW. So far, I really like the car.

However, I have seen a number of postings about the poor handling characteristics of the original equipment Bridgestone RE-92 tires, especially in wet weather or snow. Any ideas on replacement tires for this car?

Dave

Reply to
David Mauriello

DO NOT BELIEVE THOSE POSTINGS . The OE bridgestones are GREAT in Snow and rain for about 40k mikes. Enjoy them for a while. I almost bought the same tire as a replacement I liked them so much.

Reply to
bigjim

I was disappointed in the RE-92s. My 2wd Nissan with 2 year old snows outperformed the Subaru with new RE92s in ALL areas. As the REs wore, the gap increased.

I've got a new set of Yokahama Avid V4Ss on now. Much better in the wet and snow than the RE-92s ever were[1]. They seem to give a shade less feedback from the road (which is a downside) but ride slightly less harsh (an upside). I feel the grip is better cornering, but the change in feedback is still something I am getting used to.

[1] Caveat - I haven't had them out in deep snow yet. For the couple of inches we've had, and the ice/frost, I've no complaints.
Reply to
Cam Penner

I found the RE92's to be okay, not great, in rain, so used them up. Likely lousy in snow with that tread, but here in Ontario it's much better to use snow tires, so that's what I always do.

You should check out:

I can recommend Michelin Hydroedge tires as a very good all season choice, including light snow (a friend of mine uses them in lighter snow, they work fine for that)

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

If your going to check Tirerack.com then the clear choice would be Goodyear TripleTread They top the Hydroedge in all areas at the Tirerack site. I put the Tripletreads on my 04 Forester to replace the OEM tires. Night and day difference, great tire.

Reply to
Grolsch

Yes I have heard a lot of bad things about the RE-92's.

So far really I have just used them for winter use and some summer use and they seem ok. I think next year they will be delegated to strictly summer use and I will get some winter treads. But as long as they are relatively new I think they will work ok with winter. Just have to go slow.

Reply to
MD

Please ignore the badmouthing of the RE92. Drive sensibly and you will have no problem . Winter of 2004 I had no problem following a friend who had a Landcruiser everywhere. After 40k miles then you will notice traction declining seriously- then you will need new tires. Traction is great (abs rarely engaged in wet rapid stops)

Reply to
bigjim

I had the RE92's on my 2003 wrx in Feb when I bought it in Minneapolis. The car performed very nicely in the snow. They do seem to wear out fairly quickly though. I replaced them with the P zero nero ms, which also seem to be a pretty good all-season tire.

Reply to
Bob Lund

My experience with Yokahama Avids: First year - fantastic on wet and snow, best tires I ever had! Second year - considerably worse. Third year - the most slippery tires I ever had on any car. A total disaster on wet roads particularly. (The tires *are* regularly rotated and the thread wear is minimal).

DK

Reply to
DK

The RE092's are unfortunately relatively tractionless. There is simply no comparison between them and the RE070's in summer (which makes sense considering the RE070's are summer tires,) and the RE092's and pretty much any Max or Ultra-high performance tire from Pirelli.

One slides and skids after half the tread's gone, the others grip like crazy.

Big difference.

Reply to
k. ote

I had those on my old 2001 OB... worked fine. There is someone always complaing about traction and better tires. They are the kids with nothing to do but spend $215 per tire on some "performance" brands that last a whole 15K.

Reply to
M. Butkus

Depends on where you are. RE92 is an all-season tire which are not as good in summer as summer tires, and all but useless if your winters get cold. If you are in an area where winter weather is generally near freezing with not too much snow, they'll likely be fine. However, they are like hockey pucks at anything colder than -9C where a winter (much softer compound) is good to about -25C.

Reply to
JD

Same with me, exccept I did buy the same tires! Got 48 K on them- still had

3/32 - 4/32 remianing, but winter was coming...
Reply to
Alan

While it depends on the winter weather you encounter, no all-season tires can be considered very good for severe winter weather, compared to good ice/snow tires. (A friend persists in using all-season tires year round. Funny how the roads always seem a lot more slippery when we use his vehicle. He has commented on it himself...)

Of course, if you encounter only rain or a bit of light snow, all-seasons are likely fine.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I had put some Nokia 7 ply's (forget the actual tire name, but I think they only make one 7 ply tire) on my 98 Legacy Outback for some sumer back rode driving in Alaska. When winter came, I decided to leave em on when I encountered really long lines for having my studs swapped on. They ended up working so well I ended up leaving them on for 4 more years. They worked really well in all weather and blew me away at how well they even handled snow more than a foot deep.

Reply to
ranugad