Throttle

Well I had my tires replaced today and I told the guy about this werid sound coming from the car and he said it could be the throttle.

I don?t know to much about cars but is this something to be worried about?

Reply to
Shadow

Shadow wrote in news:736512 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Other than poltergeists, you mean?

You might try describing the sound and when exactly it happens.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

We won't laugh - honest! :-) TeGGeR has the description of CV joint noise as "rucka-rucka" on his site, so don't be shy!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

I didn't write the "rucka-rucka". That was John Ings.

I only have one working ear, and a hearing aid is stuck in that one, so I am generally unable to hear odd noises properly myself. If you would care to give me a more accurate description, that would be appreciated.

I notice many people use "clicking" as the descriptive term. Is that accurate, or is the sound more complex than that?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns974A446FA8D81tegger@207.14.113.17:

By the way, any sound descriptions on the FAQ were either

1) written by John Ings, or 2) provided by others, who listened to the noise then described it for me.
Reply to
TeGGeR®

Sorry - I meant no offense. Rucka-rucka really is an accurate description of the sound (a kind of deep creaking clicking grinding sound), but describing car sounds accurately often involves words that are silly. I have to laugh when I describe a sound as "shoop-creak" or "eeerk."

I also sympathize with the hearing loss. I've often reflected that I'd do about as poorly without my hearing as without my sight... just in different ways. That you can delve so deeply into cars without being able to hear them clearly is a real accomplishment.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Those *are* funny words. Made me laugh too.

You may not believe it, but those "silly" words are exactly what I need to understand what you hear. I have no way otherwise of comprehending the sound. I guess you might say I need to be able to reconstruct the complete sound from individual components.

What you have not included in your "silly words" is tempo or duration. Those are important as well.

If you had to choose when losing one of those, choose hearing. Sight is MUCH more important. Believe me. I know. I have eye problems too, but at least both of them still work and I can still legally drive.

It's the main reason I could never be a professional mechanic. Hearing is critical to many diagnoses. Having only one ear is sort of analogous to having only one eye; with one ear you have no "depth perception" or even directional orientation for sound. In other words, I cannot tell where sound is coming from, or how far away it is relative to other sounds that might be present at the time.

I rely very heavily on my Japanese mechanic, who has thankfully been very understanding about this, and my wife, who has excellent hearing. Thankfully, our daughter has inherited my wife's hearing, not mine.

Also, my hearing aid is not capable of the sort of sound definition that your ears are. I cannot tell the difference between a squeak resulting from rubber on glass or a screech from steel on glass. I lost a windshield because of that a few years ago. $700 that cost me (long story).

On the plus side, I've never been tempted to spend thousands of dollars on sound systems for my cars, so there was always more money available for beer. Every cloud has a silver lining...

Reply to
TeGGeR®