VERY hot 01 EL Key....

Hey gurus:

I have a 2001 EL - has an immobilizer (as expected)...

After a 1 hour or more drive, when I go to take the key out of the keyslot, I find the key VERY hot. It's not cool like regular keys - if you place the key right onto your skin, you can feel the key either very warm, or even hot enough to actually need to remove from skin contact.

Other than that, the car runs fine!

I'm wondering whether any of you guys have experienced this? I know there's some sort of chip on the key - but should it be that hot?

Reply to
MooCow

There were recalls on mid to late '90s Hondas and Acuras for failing ignition switches. They would overheat and burn the contacts. The switch is screwed to the bottom of the the key cylinder. You might be having a similar problem. In normal use, the key should not get too hot to hold.

Reply to
E Meyer